Get me to the Church 'er to the Commode on time - ACK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatherFeather

Distinguished member
Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
10/2014
Country
CA
State
Quebec
City
Tiny town w/no stoplight!
Help! :eek:

Ron has had some near-misses lately. When he's in a rush to get in the commode, he's usually on his popup lazyboy chair. I have to use the swivel to get him out of there, swivel him 1/4 turn to get onto his wheelchair then 'wheel' him backwards, without worrying about the foot supports, to the bedroom; get the sling around him, hook him up to the lift, lift him up, pull the wheelchair out from under his butt, put the commode under him, pin up his robe in the back, then put him on the commode (all while he's trying to squeeze his butt cheeks together). Couple times we (he) nearly didn't make it. I told him "One accident and you're getting Depends" :twisted: (with a grin on my face - I like to give him "Sh-t" and he knows it's all in fun - LOL!)

How do you guys do this faster or am I missing something ? We have carpet throughout the house :p

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :wink:

Thanks and Hugs from Heather

Haven't had this problem (yet), and I'm sure you'll get some better answers, but how about putting the commode chair next to the recliner until this passes? Or maybe a rolling commode chair/shower that you could push to the bedroom if you have time, but which would catch things if that doesn't work. I've also read about pants (sweats sound comfortable) with the butt cut out and nothing under--this combination speeds things up. Check out Diane's websie ALS from both sides.

We have carpet too...really nice commercial grade. It'll hold up to the PWC, but other issues are going to be a challenge...

...how about putting the commode chair next to the recliner until this passes? That's a perfect idea! Just use the swivel, pick up his robe in the back and put him down on the commode. Except when we have guests in the livingroom - I can ask them to leave the room and go in the kitchen but then there's the dealing with the smell in the livingroom after :p Or maybe a rolling commode chair/shower that you could push to the bedroom if you have time, but which would catch things if that doesn't work. That would be great when we have guests! I've also read about pants (sweats sound comfortable) with the butt cut out and nothing under--this combination speeds things up. Unfortunately Ron doesn't like to go 'commando' - he loves the fleece robe I made for him - I'm looking into making one that you put on over his arms by the front and then folds over in the back Check out Diane's websie ALS from both sides.

We have carpet too...really nice commercial grade. It'll hold up to the PWC, but other issues are going to be a challenge...

Thanks so much, Becky - great ideas! xoxoxo

DARN! Our local community services center resource person says it's not a good idea since the ones with casters are unstable esp since we have carpet :-(

And THAT is why someone competent should be consulted :) Did he/she have any suggestions?

the urgency to go is probably a phase--most pals have the opposite problem because of muscle loss. Once in a while my hubby has that problem and it is always a close call. we have carpet too, but i have never had a problem moving his commode chair around. when mine is urgent, I roll in the commode chair put the bucket in it, a towel under the chair to protect the carpet just in case and transfer him directly. no problems at all with instability or problems rolling. that is alot easier than the two transfers, on both of you. I also shower him in the same chair to save on transfers also. some times he will poop, then i clean him up and roll him into the shower, bath him and then roll him into the bedroom and transfer him to the bed directly for a nap.

Nascar crews are experts at shaving every possible second off of pit stop times. Here is what they would do:

First, a good power chair, correctly fitted to him, with tilt, recline, power leg lifts, and a properly inflated ROHO air cushion is as comfortable as a recliner and better for reducing swelling of feet, preventing pressure sores on the butt and tailbone, and preventing subluxation of the shoulder joints. Not to mention being ready to roll in an emergency. In light of the situation, he should be willing to accept that it is time to make the switch from recliner to power chair.

Another step in speeding up the process is to leave the sling in place all day. Sliding the leg straps out from under his thighs makes it more comfortable, and the back is still in place saving a lot of time getting him rigged up.

The most time saving of all would be to forget about the switch from wheelchair to commode. Just use the lift to raise him up off the wheelchair seat and slide a bedpan under him. When he is done, lift him higher for clean up. All this will allow him to get to the bedroom and onto the bedpan in a fraction of your current pit stop time. Nascar would be proud!

And Barbie and Diane prove just how much more valuable EXPERIENCE is than "expertise". :)

I wish I could figure out why so many people are told casters don't move or are not stable on carpet. You can barely move a fully-loaded lift or chair fast enough on carpet to tip!

But you can definitely move it if you're strong enough to do everything you've been doing. Unless, Heather, your carpet is shag from the 70s, no reason I know of not to have a shower/commode chair anywhere you like. But yeah, only one transfer should be needed however you do it.

Also they have brakes on them so that they are stable while you are doing the transfer, then take the brake off and you are mobile!

That is definitely the truth! I feel like I fake it more often than not! :)

Good points but I still need the lift to get him off the commode to wipe and wash him tho...

Yes Heather so commode on wheels and a lift. Both can be brought to him.

I have a friend CALS here who simple lifts her husband and puts a bedpan underneath him and he stays in the sling then is cleaned and lowered again. She has been doing it this way for several years with him.

Well, I think I've found an answer to the accident problem and our carpet in the bedroom ;-) I had a very large plastic floor protector under my computer desk and put that in our bedroom so when I roll Ron into there and lift him up to get the wheelchair out from under him, at least in the time I get the commode under him, should he have an accident it will happen on the plastic protector and not on our carpet :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back