Old 01-24-2015, 05:41 PM #16 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: SMALL TOWN IN
State: ILLINOIS
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
skipper66 is on a very distinguished road
Very Helpful Member
City: SMALL TOWN IN
State: ILLINOIS
skipper66 is on a very distinguished road
Default Re: Bad coughing Fit

Barbie: Glad to hear he is feeling a little better today. Keep a really good eye on him and call the doctor if you need too.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:20 PM #17 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for updating us Barbie, I've been thinking of you both a lot.

I've always put balsamic vinegar on salads, and not sure that it gives a person the runs, but I guess something did!
Old 01-25-2015, 03:07 AM #18 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute

I should have mentioned one other thing in responding to Barbie. For some people, proactively "coughing" or "spitting" out excess saliva/phlegm first thing, last thing and in between during the day works best. We could not use a CoughAssist, inhalers or decongestants due to Larry's other medical conditions. We used the "select a size" paper towels so we could use half a towel, itself folded in half, held up to his mouth. This didn't keep him from having unexpected episodes, obviously, but reduced their number. We kept this up even with continuous BiPAP since he used a nasal mask.

Yes, hot tea can be good -- avoiding the herbs that can cause sneezing.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:31 AM #19 (permalink)

City: Surf City
State: Ca
Diagnosed: 12/2013
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Graybeard is on a distinguished road
City: Surf City
State: Ca
Diagnosed: 12/2013
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Graybeard is on a distinguished road

I see by your posts, you're a real night person, Laurie.

Since I read on wiki a couple of weeks ago that coughing, yelling, etc., causes phlegm, I have stopped using the cough assist, and I'm not coughing at all.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:24 PM #20 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Littleton
State: North Carolina
Diagnosed: 01/2014
Nuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud of
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Littleton
State: North Carolina
Diagnosed: 01/2014
Nuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud of

So glad that things are better, Barbie. Basalmic vinegar--I need to file that one away. Here's hoping for a good night tonight for both of you.

Becky
Old 01-30-2015, 04:30 PM #21 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: orlando
State: FL
Diagnosed: 01/2007
Barbie is a jewel in the roughBarbie is a jewel in the roughBarbie is a jewel in the rough
Extremely Helpful Member
City: orlando
State: FL
Diagnosed: 01/2007
Barbie is a jewel in the roughBarbie is a jewel in the roughBarbie is a jewel in the rough

update: yesterday the RT came to visit and check on his Trilogy. He was in the middle of a coughing spell--not very bad but still coughing. she talked with him, and decided to order a cough assist for him. she also reminded him the importance of drinking water to thin the secretions! she is a good person!
Old 01-30-2015, 05:52 PM #22 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

Timing is everything Barbie! The cough assist sounds like it is very needed and they can't deny how things are when they are seen having an actual coughing episode...
Old 01-30-2015, 10:10 PM #23 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

Greybeard, glad to hear it!
Old 01-31-2015, 12:26 AM #24 (permalink)

City: Suburban
State: CA
Diagnosed: 04/2013
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
4tloml is a jewel in the rough4tloml is a jewel in the rough4tloml is a jewel in the rough
City: Suburban
State: CA
Diagnosed: 04/2013
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
4tloml is a jewel in the rough4tloml is a jewel in the rough4tloml is a jewel in the rough

ALS is such an enigma. Greybeard, you do better without the cough assist. We can't imagine where my husband would be this week without it. (Or maybe we can--ER.)

Barbie, I hope it helps! When my own PALS gets into a coughing fit, a few cycles of the CA and he can finally settle down. He's only had it 2 weeks, but it came just in time.

Hope your guy feels better soon.
Closed Thread

Tags
choking, coughing, night, trilogy, wanted