Old 01-18-2015, 05:15 PM #1 (permalink)

City: Temecula
State: California
Diagnosed: 03/2014
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Megan Dontain is on a distinguished road
Default Hair loss-Dr says stress

Hello,

So for about three months now my hair has been steadily falling out. Yes, this is a very girly, very vain topic, I know. I'm really starting to freak out now because I've lost about a third of my hair! When I shower it comes out in small handfuls, enough that I have to keep the Draino under my sink at the ready. I've informed my Dr And my therapist and they both seem to think that is from all the stress related to my husband's diagnosis last March. I guess on a side note, I also have lost 25lbs since we got the news. I'm sure that has something to do with the hair loss as well. Has this happened to any of you and if so, how do I stop it? Some women can totally rock a bald head (Demi Moore in GI Jane), but I really like my hair and so does my husband. Come on ladies, help me out! I can see the men reading this right now rolling their eyes lol...
Megan
Old 01-18-2015, 05:58 PM #2 (permalink)

City: Tucson
State: AZ
Diagnosed: 12/2013
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
azgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to behold
City: Tucson
State: AZ
Diagnosed: 12/2013
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
azgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hair loss-Dr says stress

Yes I've seen this happen to a family member who was stressed and lost weight down to almost anorexic levels. Good diet and relieving stress took care of it for her. You have to look out for yourself. Not so easy to do, though.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:46 PM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: orlando
State: FL
Diagnosed: 01/2007
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Barbie is a jewel in the roughBarbie is a jewel in the roughBarbie is a jewel in the rough
Extremely Helpful Member
City: orlando
Diagnosed: 01/2007
Barbie is a jewel in the roughBarbie is a jewel in the roughBarbie is a jewel in the rough

Hey Megan! I didn't lose any hair, but mine did go completely curly! I also lost weight (10 lbs) which was a good thing of course. I don't feel the stress anymore--but my hair has never gone back to it's old look. I do think losing that much weight in your case could have something to do with the hair loss--lack of vitamins and more nutrition can wreck havoc on hair. try taking a supplement for yourself and do some yoga for stress...
Old 01-18-2015, 07:59 PM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Pit of hot
gooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to behold
Extremely Helpful Member
City: Pit of hot
gooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to behold

Megan, My hair loss didnt stop until I went on anxiety meds. I also had lost 25 lbs from trying to walk my stress away. That didn't work. Now with the meds and a protein , vegetable,fruit rich diet, with a good multivitaminI am doing much better. I still walkbut for 30-45 minutes a day not 5-7 miles a day.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:12 PM #5 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: SMALL TOWN IN
State: ILLINOIS
skipper66 is on a very distinguished road
Very Helpful Member
City: SMALL TOWN IN
State: ILLINOIS
skipper66 is on a very distinguished road

Oh I'm sure stress is what is definitely causing it. I would try taking vitamins. Also, make time for walking. No better mind clearer out there. Does you therapist or doctor have you on any anxiety meds? A very small dosage might help.
If you can afford it treat yourself to some pampering like a massage. If you have a dog spend quiet time just petting them. Share with us more on here. Maybe, start blogging on here so you can clear your head to relieve the stress. Don't keep your fears to yourself. Talking about them will reduce your stress. Sending you a hug. Stop by the pub on here for a free cold one on the house.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:35 PM #6 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Littleton
State: North Carolina
Diagnosed: 01/2014
Nuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud of
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Littleton
State: North Carolina
Diagnosed: 01/2014
Nuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud of

So Megan, you HAVE been pulling your hair out! Hee Hee, tell hubby if he keeps pushing for the Harley he's going to have a bald wife.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:08 AM #7 (permalink)

-@Nuts ,

I told him " are you giving me chemo while I'm sleeping " and he laughed and said "No, you're just a stress trip, even before ALS!"
Closed Thread

Tags
diagnosis, falling, reading, shower, stress, women