Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Arkansas
City
Beebe
Ok my husband takes hydro for pain. But they also make him feel better and gives him energy. Im afraid hes taking them more for energy then instead of pain management. He will not ask his dr for something to give him more energy. Help?

Why are you posting here? Does your husband have ALS? This forum is for people with ALS and those affected by it. It is not a general health forum.

Uh yeah i wouldnt be asking on here if he didnt

States with Medical Marijuana laws have 25% fewer accidental drug overdose deaths than the other states.

Courtlow, it depends on the type of pain and the condition his ALS is in.
Some pain is best attacked at the source, such as inflammation of the joints.
Other pain is best blocked at the Central Nervous System
If his breathing is affected by ALS, certain meds will help or hurt that.
I personally think your neurologist should answer the question.

His breathing is fi. He takes it to get going in the mornings

Personally courtlow I don't understand exactly what is going on, can you talk to us a bit more specifically?

Dalvin asked politely because your profile says interest 'other' and no date of diagnosis.

Maybe introduce yourself and fill in some details and then what your pain meds concern is and we can answer you better?

I find that when I take a pain pill to take the edge off my back pain (stenosis, disc narowing, compressed vertebrate) I am mentally more positive and physically willing to take on limited yard work, etc. Constant back pain from the moment you wake up until you fall asleep is depressing so eliminating or reducing the pain can give you a willingess to push ahead.

>
Personally courtlow I don't understand exactly what is going on, can you talk to us a bit more specifically?

Dalvin asked politely because your profile says interest 'other' and no date of diagnosis.

Maybe introduce yourself and fill in some details and then what your pain meds concern is and we can answer you better?

Ditto that!

Max - Tuesday, October 28, 2014 7:50:35 AM

ALS sucks, but It Is What It Is ... and someone else has it worse so I'll try not to complain today!
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013

He has been diagnosed for two year now. I think he uses the pain meds to get going instead of pain. He needs adderall or something. Im afraid he will get addicted.

I'm still confused.

What exactly is he taking? (you first said hydro, is this a cannabis?)
What is his onset?
What is his pain?
Do you have a medical background to know what meds he should take?
As I don't know what he is taking I'm not sure what he might get addicted to. But he has a terminal illness, addictions to pain meds are not a concern. But if you are talking about something other than prescribed meds addiction isn't even a factor.

Should you go and have a good talk with his doctor maybe?

I know it may be hard for you to talk too much about it, but we can't help without you filling us in.

'hydro' is probably hydrocodone. Similar to oxycodone.

hey Greg, exactly why I'm asking for some specifics :)

Yes hydrocodiNE his dr only gives him 90 for the whole month and can't get anymore until the month is over. Well he's using more then he should so he rims put and needs more that's why i say he needs something else to get him going. His sister had it too but passed away three years ago and i don't remember her having to take so much.

Courtlow it sounds to me like you both need to go and sit down with your neurologist and discuss a full pain care regime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back