Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NC
City
Littleton
Today's the day--my husband has been taken to the OR for an L4 to S1 spinal fusion. We're a bit nervous, as Uncle Lou, as Jeff calls this monster, has been picking up the pace over the past couple of months, but with luck he'll get some pain relief and be able to back off of some of the drugs he's taking. Here's hoping for a successful surgery and quick getaway (estimates range from one day to 3 to 5 days in the hospital, depending on who is talking.

Good Luck
Vincent

Best of luck. Take care of yourself as well

>Today's the day--my husband has been taken to the OR for an L4 to S1 spinal fusion

Becky, our thoughts are with you and Matt!

Thank you! The surgery is over and one of the docs came out to tell me that it went as planned and he should have great relief. This is another cautionary tale aboutPALS and falls.
He said there will be a couple weeks of pain because they had to move so much muscle to get to his spine. I told him that was also great news as there's no much left in his legs :).

Hope recovery goes well and he gets much relief.

>The surgery is over and one of the docs came out to tell me that it went as planned and he should have great relief.

:)

So glad to hear the surgery went well!

Please do keep us posted, we are all thinking of your both

Becky,
Good news that the surgery went well. Barb and I send our best to you and the Chief.

glad it has gone well

I think I've now had a very small taste of what so many here have been through--and of what the future holds. The staff has been wonderful, dealing with all of my many questions and concerns, but by yesterday I was exhausted. Clearly I need to toughen up!

We expected back pain, but apparently the restraints they used during surgery have left his thighs very sore--he attributes his sudden inability to move his own legs in order to turn over in the bed to that pain (I just keep telling myself that if pain is causing this new limitation that it is probably temporary this time). PT came yesterday and got him up with great effort. The therapist is a small gal--very capable, but hubby was worried that if he crumpled he'd take them both down. My son arrived just in time, and with experience on one side of him and strength on the other, hubby had the confidence to get vertical for a few moments (no steps, but he was on his feet!). It took longer to rise than he was able to stand, and I had visions of some of the exhausting transfers I've read about. This is quite a dance, balancing his need to conserve strength with the need to get him moving. I started to panic about how I'd handle him at home if he doesn't start walking again, since the house modifications have not been done, but then I flashed to Atsugi taking a sledge hammer to the walls in his rented home and realized that he can come home whenever he wants!

My son stayed and I was able to come home, where I had my own little pity party before collapsing into a sound sleep. I just realized that this is the first time I've been alone in this house since January when we got his diagnosis--the first time I've been able to cry without worrying about someone hearing me--and I'm having trouble stopping. Crap, here I go again... It's morning now and I ask myself what was the hardest part of all of this, and it's seeing the pain and frustration on his face, and then something else. My superhero husband who has always taken care of everyone else and never met a challenge he couldn't overcome knows the monster will eventually beat him. I've been through quite a few surgeries with him, but this one is soooo different. I'm so afraid that the future he sees will undermine his struggle with today's challenges. I know I'm rambling, ARGH! God I hate this disease. Even the IDEA of it is toxic. If some of the DIHALS who just won't go away REALLY understood what the are wishing on themselves they'd find another disease to worry about. See...there I go again...but that's ok, because anger gives me strength.

I am sorry sending you a big hug! It takes time even for "normal" people to mobilize after this kind of surgery so try not to get discouraged. It will probably take him longer than average too. My sister has had spinal surgery twice since onset. One before diagnosis when they attributed her ALS symptoms incorrectly to spinal issue. The second was recent though and she is quite advanced but she got back to baseline after with pt and time.
Try to get a little rest whenever you can.

Thank you , Nikki. You give me courage and confidence!

A pity party can be cathartic. We all have them, then we put on our happy face and move on. It really helps to know others understand, doesn't it. Hugs to you. Donna

Donna you are doing brilliantly. What a relief to be able to come home alone for a while and let some of it all out, AND get some sleep. That is going to do you the world of good to get on your feet enough to go back to the hospital with a deep breath and a smile and cope yet again.

This disease is a constant round of grieving processes. You are at one as you realise that yes, the monster is going to win. I hope you find you are surprised at how your husband copes with this reality. I have had so much inspiration from befriending PALS here and seeing how amazingly so many can cope with the reality of this disease. It inspires me constantly.

The fact they got him on his feet today is a wonderful milestone. Try to let it make you feel better, rather than worrying that how he was the first day up after surgery is where he has become in his progression. Nikki's story of her sister does indeed give much hope. If this surgery can greatly reduce his pain, he is going to have better quality as he recovers. That is what you need to focus on. The monster is going to do what it will, but this surgery was something you could all do to help him.

Rant away, the pressure needs to be released and it's all totally valid.

hugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back