Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
FL
City
orlando
I have found a DO that has a practice near my home and does house calls. I think they have had experience with ALS in the past. do you guys have any opinions on a DO vs a DR? I just don't know enough. I am interested in the general health care they offer, and having a caring and knowledgeable care giver. Love the idea of house calls as it is so hard to go to the doctor's office with hubby. but I want to be able to depend on him as the ALS progresses.

>do you guys have any opinions on a DO vs a DR?

all I know is the last DO I saw assured me that I did not have ALS and a $3k surgery would fix my diminished left hand -- a few months before Dr. Appel confirmed the ALS ....

Sorry, don't know what a DO is. Is that like a nurse practitioner?

I know several DOs. The ones I have met all worked as family practitioners and like the MD family practitioners they had wide but not deep knowledge as they had to do OB and pedi as well as adult medicine. They were on a par with the MD FPs in clinical competence. It is harder for a DO grad to get into a top tier specialty residency but if they have an internal medicine background and you want an internist they might be good for you. I personally would ask whether they are Family practice or internal medicine

>Sorry, don't know what a DO is. Is that like a nurse practitioner?

-----
In the United States, there are two types of physicians that practice medicine. Most physicians hold the Doctor of Medicine degree (M.D.), while osteopathic physicians hold the Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree (D.O.).[1] Other than teaching osteopathic manipulative medicine, the medical training for an M.D. and D.O. is virtually indistinguishable. D.O. physicians complete conventional residencies in hospitals and training programs, are licensed in all states, and have rights and responsibilities, such as military service, that are identical to M.D. physicians and surgeons.[2]
-----

Comparison of MD and DO in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I did ask if he was like a FP or an internist, and the woman on the phone did not seem to know. He lists on his website, "chronic disease management" as one of his specialties. there is another option for us too, a mobile doc about 60 miles away. there would be an additional trip charge for his visits, and it is a FP. they told me that the DR does not do the visits, it is a physicians assistant. They don't have any experience in ALS, I just found them on line. haven't been able to find any docs with ALS experience.

>haven't been able to find any docs with ALS experience.

have you tried checking w/ alsa or mda

lol. not much help there--called both. ALSA sent me an email yesterday with the DO in question, but I am not sure where they got the name from.

>not much help there--called both.

:-(

you are looking for one to make house calls + mnd understanding/experience?

Check his license on state board of medicine. You can see any discipline plus if you keep clicking you can see specilaty. Not all internists and FPs are board certified but if he is good sign

Barbie,ask to have some references from some of his other PALs or CALs

The one question I would ask is whether they can write RX for pain (narcotics?).

Debbie

>The one question I would ask is whether they can write RX for pain (narcotics?).'

yup & psychotropics, too :)

No inherent difference in quality of care bt MD/DO. There are good and bad osteopaths and medical doctors at all the hospitals at which I have worked. On the whole, osteopaths face prejudice so given the path they have chosen, they tend to be more holistic, self-confident and mission-driven, less likely to practice "defensive" or "rote" medicine. But you have to try the guy to know, like always.

I haven't heard alot of difference between the two here in Central Ilinois. I heard they both have the same extensive training except their approach might be a little different. But, we have alot of DO's working at our hospital and people seem to love the one's we got. Just get good references from their patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back