Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
SC
City
Sumter
I have been so glad to see dad excited about something, because as you can imagine there hasn't been much excitement for a while. On Saturday, June 14th, I am having a 50th wedding anniversary drop in celebration at the house for him and my mom and have invited all of there friends and family. The gold and white decorations, banner and supplies have arrived as well as a sign for the yard. I am doing finger foods and such for the guests as well as punch and tea/water. I had always thought I would do this celebration at the church fellowship hall but with dads progression decided against it. I asked them both about it before planning everything and they said they would discuss it and let me know the next day. We decided a drop in at the house would be doable and went from there. I know it will be difficult for dad as he won't be able to talk much at all but it really does seem to be something he is looking forward to. He was quick to start telling folks to invite. I just know this will be such a special day for them and I couldn't be more happy for them. He has told me several times that he is looking forward to it and hopes that he will have a good day that day and that he also hopes that once it has passed that he will go quickly. I truely think he is holding on for this occasion and I pray all goes well, it will be a great day for him and mom to see folks they haven't seen in years, and in many cases for dad to say his goodbyes. Sorry about rambling on about this, it has just been heavy on my mind. Please pray for a beautiful day in Sumter, SC on June 14th.

That is wonderful. Before my mother got too bad and just before my dad's ( non ALS) catastrophic illness we gave a huge birthday party for my mom. The memories of that day 12 years later still warm my heart. I so pray for perfect weather and a fabulous day for everyone. Be sure and let us know how it went.

that is a brilliant idea of how to celebrate such an event!

Make sure your dad rests up well in the couple of days leading up to try and ensure he has some stored up energy. Take heaps of photos of happiness.

What a wonderful idea for your parents. Hoping it doesn't rain in sunny South Carolina. Keeping my fingers crossed for you with the weather. Sweet wonderful memories you will always have. Please let us know how it goes.

Debbie

That is so awesome! 50 years--what a huge milestone! I know it will be a fun and memorable day for all of you. take lots of pictures!

That is so awesome. 50 years! And you're a wonderful son organizing the festivities. I am sure it will be a bright and sunny day.

> He has told me several times that he is looking forward to it and hopes that he will have a good day that day and that he also hopes that once it has passed that he will go quickly. I truely think he is holding on for this occasion and I pray all goes well, it will be a great day for him and mom to see folks they haven't seen in years, and in many cases for dad to say his goodbyes

great plan & well thought!

What a beautiful gift you are giving both parents! June 14 is also the eve of Father's Day and can be meaningful in that way as well.

Your thoughtfulness is not only a gift to honor and celebrate your parents, but a gift for their friends, too. I imagine there are people who have been too uncomfortable to visit your dad as his disease progressed. This gathering will probably give everybody a chance to say those goodbyes in a more relaxed atmosphere and the occasion is one of celebration.

Your excitement is contagious! It will be a terrific day come rain or shine. But I will pray that the sun shines for all of you! :)

Thanks ya'll! I know it will be a great day. He has really been down the last couple of days and had a lot of confusion and some minor hallucinations. I am hoping things will improve some. I will take lots of pics and post some for ya'll to see.

>I will take lots of pics and post some for ya'll to see.

make 'em png's not jpg's and they will post ok -- keep 'em under 4mb

Will do, thanks for the info.

It is so crazy how everything can change so fast. He was doing okay and would have enjoyed the party coming up Saturday, but now I don't know. We are going to go ahead with it because we feel like it would really dicourage him if we cancelled it. In a weeks time he has gone from being alert for the most part, and in a good mental state just weak to sleeping on and off all day everyday and in a constant state of confusion on what day it is what time it is where me or mom are and sometimes where he is within the house as well as struggling to eat some food and having to be fed. His breathing also seems to be a good bit more labored. I was afraid his CO2 was climbing but as long as he wears his oxygen the pulse ox checks it at 98-99%. Hoping we can just get through the party Saturday and him have a decent day although as he is he won't be able to talk to anyone. :(

Snowman, the pulse-ox won't measure the co2 build up. You can have good oxygen levels and still retain co2.

See I wondered about that but never could get a good answer. Maybe I will try getting him to stay on the bipap tomorrow and see if I see any improvement.

You should try and keep him on the bipap as much as possible and the settings may need adjusting to ensure it is helping him expel well. It's an important point with ALS - they may be breathing in enough, oxygen can be ok. But the CO2 buildup is the thing that will make the most impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back