How do I help mom with bedpan and still maintain dignity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GilWest

Distinguished member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
WV
City
Southern
This is my next challenge. Any tips on how to toilet, clean up and still keep her embarrassment to a minimum. I am a son helping my mom BTW.

is there anyway you could transfer her to a bed side commode...much easier to clean up

I know that it can be difficult even when you are a daughter, but the best way to approach it is a matter of fact way. Try not to look embarrassed yourself and ask her if she would do the same if it were the other way around. It gets easier each time, and I have always found humour to be helpful. I have said " well if I see anything I haven't seen before, I'll stand back and throw rocks at it." That usually gets a chuckle and breaks the ice. Thank you for being such a wonderful caring son. My son is a paramedic and I an emergency nurse, and one night we had several severe cases come in and every nurse in the department had her own critical patient. I had to insert a urethral catheter in a young comatose woman and it just happens that it was my son that brought her in. The paramedics were staying to help as much as they could so I grabbed him to help me with the catheter, which meant he had to hold her knees up and open while I put the catheter in. You can imagine that neither of us were very comfortable with this, but we both knew it needed to be done and maintained a high level of professionalism. We got it done, and I was proud that my son had handled it in such a calm way. I am sure your mother is very proud of you as well.

Paulette

Gil the dignity is you are willing to take care of her, you are a wonderful son. God Bless you

>Gil the dignity is you are willing to take care of her, you are a wonderful son.

Ditto that!

I'm trying a sense of humor approach, works most days

I found that a mix of 'just getting on with it' and some humour worked best.

I can imagine that as a son tending his mother this is really difficult, but with a gentle approach you will both get very used to it.

I agree that a commode chair if she is able to sit up may keep the whole dignity best for you both. Is that possible?

I use humor. I often ask my caregiver if he's digging for gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back