Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
WV
City
Southern
After much (MUCH!) deliberation, we (and mom) have decided on nursing care. Mom is too much for one caregiver to handle and with 3 small kids in the house and 2 full-time careers, we feel we will be spreading our selves too thin, and everyone's (mom, kids, us) well-being will be affected. The facility is only 15 min away and visiting should be no problem. My wife and I are only children, so we really have no help. Mom's side of the family are practically nonexistent in all of this, so we have little to no help from them.

You obviously have thought long and hard. You can still be a caregiver for her when she is the nursing home just in a different way. Hopefully with her physical care taken over by others you can use your time and energy to enrich her life
Best of luck to your family

>After much (MUCH!) deliberation, we (and mom) have decided on nursing care

Good for you! I have heard a lot of positives in this direction.

Best of luck ...

Don't forget too that if you learn what's needed you can have her over on day trips at least for holidays and special family gatherings

If your mum was involved in the decision process, and cares for you all, then you have all made the right choice.

There just are no rights or wrongs, there are just different situations we each battle through.

That's so close that you may find you can visit her often, and have really enjoyable times with her. I find with my husband at home, even though I wouldn't change it, too often, too much of my time is taken up just 'doing' all the stuff, and it's hard to find enough time and energy to 'be' with him. He, however, is petrified for being cared for in any facility, even for a single night...

Remembering you can bring her home for visits and occasions as well as visiting her there means she is still part of the family.

Please let us know how she settles in. Do you have a place that is able to take her, or is that the next step?

I work in long term care. Try not too worry. Staff will be there for her 24 hours a day, plus you can help anytime. Help is always needed with feeding, events, outings, etc. Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back