01/2007
Country
US
State
FL
City
orlando
Hi everyone

Well, hubby got measured for his new chair today--very exciting for him. He got to drive a Permobil 300 and wants that one, with the elevator and the foot drop down thingie. He impressed the rep with all the things he already knew about chairs and how much more we knew what we wanted compared to most people. I had to laugh, as he doesn't know how much my husband enjoys researching new "toys". He took it for a ride around the house and out in the yard, promptly ran over some dog poo...

Other items are causing frustration. I ordered an air mattress which he hated and will not use, got a sheep skin which he will not use (sorry Marie :oops:), and a new shower chair that is too big and his butt falls thru the glory hole. I have tried! but nothing is right and all I want to do is make him more comfortable. He claims the air mattress and sheep skin make the bed more uncomfortable :shock: so he made me take them off. the shower chair is a loaner and is one of those PVC bigguns with a reclined back and wheels. the "cushions" ( I use that term lightly) are like rocks and his feet are dangling and as I said--the commode hole is so big I could not add the bucket because his butt was sticking thru it! so we are back to square one for bed comfort and showering. IDK, guess I will just keep on trying...

Hi, Barbie --

>Well, hubby got measured for his new chair today--very exciting for him. He got to drive a Permobil 300 and wants that one, with the elevator and the foot drop down thingie ... I had to laugh, as he doesn't know how much my husband enjoys researching new "toys"

Glad he's having some fun :) ... tell him I am having the cowling on my upcoming M300 custom painted Maize & Blue with a Block M :) == Go Blue, 145 days until kick off ...

>Other items are causing frustration ... guess I will just keep on trying...

You will and frustration be damned! :)

Hi Max

"Glad he's having some fun ... tell him I am having the cowling on my upcoming M300 custom painted Maize & Blue with a Block M == Go Blue, 145 days until kick off ..."

I want mine to be red and black with a double T. Let's go Raiders. My students made me a don't drink and drive bumper sticker for the back of the chair when I get one.

Barbie- what are the best options to get. Why M300 over M400 or the C ones Permobil has?

>Barbie- what are the best options to get. Why M300 over M400 or the C ones Permobil has?

oh, there was a great post/link on PWCs yesterday or today ... I my have Skyped it to Sandy ... Checking ...

the 300 was what Medicare covered. the other that he was interested in was the 500 with the stand feature, but that was too much money. he decided the elevator and foot lowering thing was a lot cheaper and would do the trick for him. he liked the back rest--but the seating he thought was too hard so he stayed with Roho. we even got Roho cushions for his foot rests which is cool (I made neoprene cushions for the foot rests he has now). they are putting switches on at the knees for him to drive with, as he has more movement there than with his arm/hand. got a tray and they are trying to figure out something for a drink holder we have. he like the front wheel drive a lot.

got it in red, but should have it painted Orange and Blue--Go Gators!

Tracey--for Christmas I bought my husband a "Turbo" sticker for the back of his chair.

>got it in red, but should have it painted Orange and Blue--Go Gators!

I'm gonna get an air horn to play "Hail to the victors ..." to blast Aggies & Tea Sips outta da way! Even worse, my Director is Crimson Tide :-(

oh we SO need one of those!

we did get a new shower chair, barbie did you look at the Shower Buddy? it is a great chair.
and we got a hoyer lift, my siatic is better already!

Action Products makes commode chair cushions (as well as other sizes/shapes)-- the cheaper air/foam cushions we tried didn't work, but theirs helped my husband a lot. Barbie, a gel cushion like that can also improve the falling-through issue. And I would never use PVC w/o a protective cushion -- a recipe for skin breakdown at any point of contact IMHO.

Agree w/ the ShowerBuddy family of products if they work in your setting. I will actually be selling our SB1 soon -- watch the equipment thread -- because he can no longer be upright but it was great while it lasted (2Y). That said, if you have a roll-in shower that will accommodate it, I would get a tilt chair. Our shower has a threshold and we rent, so the SB1 was the only solution.

I bought my husband an air mattress that has air pockets that change slightly as the pump goes on and off - alternating air pressure mattress. He swore that it was the worst thing possible after a day. The air pockets were too tough and hurt, the pockets were too soft and the air pressure was forced out of the pocket wherever his bones touched the mattress and forced the air into the adjoining pockets which made them too tough.
But low and behold I noticed that he was sleeping a lot better at night.....hmmm could it have anything to do with the mattress. Of course not said my husband. So after complaining, fighting, removing and reinstalling it a number of times I left it on the bed and I turn it off in the morning when he starts to complain and when he is about to or just going to sleep in the evening I turn it back on. Barbie - put it back on his bed and try it our way if you can.

Oh my husband loves calling any equipment, especially when it is new, a piece of sh it.

So hard not to just laugh at him, sorry but it's true. I have been known to say (trying to find a kind way to say it) 'ok so this very expensive piece of equipment is sh it, it couldn't be that your poor body is being wracked by this horrendous disease and is making everything so difficult, painful and uncomfortable for you?

<insert sheepish grin and attempt to change subject from pals>

We had 2 different hospital beds here and for months he would use for a day or 2, short naps, then refuse, round and round.

Finally, he said one day - bring it in the lounge room. I said, if I do, you will sleep in it? yes.
OK, got son over within a day, we moved all the lounge furniture out, brought the bed in, and he sleeps all night after 18 months of very poor sleep. (even when he was fully mobile)

Boy that must be some piece of sh it eh?

I just keep the equipment he refuses once it arrives, and I do find eventually we try it in some situation and it becomes extremely useful. I try NOT to think about how long it sat unused, but just to be glad it is use.

>>I just keep the equipment he refuses once it arrives, and I do find eventually we try it in some situation and it becomes extremely useful. I try NOT to think about how long it sat unused, but just to be glad it is use.

:)

Tillie, you CALS never cease to amaze :)

if only I could get him using the pwc he just had to have ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back