01/2013
Country
US
State
MI
City
Royal Oak
Hi All,

New to the board. Have a friend who has ALS and is getting to the point where he can't be left alone because he has started to choke on his saliva every once in awhile. His wife has to work because she works at a small company and no FMLA is offered. His ins doesn't pay for just a sitter and she only has 1 person who can stay with him a couple times a week. Can you give me any suggestions as to where I can call other than ALS society (she is on a waiting list) there for financial help to pay for someone to come in.

Also can you give me an idea what Medicare pays in regards to home care for so she will know when he becomes eligible in May.

Thanks so much.

very sorry to tell you, medicare does not pay anything for home health care...

Check with your churches in your community for possible volunteers. Also use your google and check out possible help for volunteer help in your area. http://www.helpforcaregivers.org/volunteer. You never know. I have kept it in the back of my mind that when all is said and done I would take a reprieve from my own caregiving and then comeback and seek out others in need to pay back all the kind people who have been so good to Phil and Me. I hope your friend finds help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back