Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
FL
City
orlando
I am nervous this evening and just wanted to talk to someone. my husband is having a hard day. poor guy caught my cold/flu last week. It felt like the flu but it only lasted 4 days. He came down with it on Saturday, and felt really bad for about 4 days too. no fever or chills thank goodness. So weird to hear him try to sneeze--he has no power so it was like a growl. couldn't blow his nose so that was tough too. He seemed better and we actually had friends over on new year's eve and went to a movie on new years day.

then today we get up and I get ready for work. Our normal routine is I get ready then I get him out of bed about 8:30 and we sit and drink coffee and chat until the CNA arrives at 9:30. He got up, but he sat in his chair with his eyes closed and said he felt groggy and tired. I left after the CNA arrived. She called me about 1 pm and said that he had been coughing all day which is not normal, and he did not want lunch and was still very tired. Usually he takes a nap when my kids come home -around 4 pm until I get home from work at 6. I suggested she try to convince him to lay down since my son was home today and she would be leaving soon. I figured he would say no, which is what usually he says when I suggest a nap. she told me he had already said he needed to lay down! that has never happen. And, he asked me to come home early from work.

So I come home a couple hours later and he gets up and says he feels better but has no appetite. I make an early dinner and have to insist he eat. then he wants to watch tv, and I see he has his eyes closed. at 7, he says he wants to lay down on the couch. I got him all cozy on the couch, and he falls asleep again.he still isn't up and it is 9. this NEVER happens!

hopefully this is just the end of the virus taking one last kick at him and not the start of another down turn. --:|

I think it is just him trying to recoup from the cold. Watch for low grade fever, it could turn into pneumonia. See if he will drink boost or ensure since he doesn't have much appetite.

You have every right to be nervous and I too pray it is not a down turn. We will always listen to you Barbie. Will always be here for you.

I know how worn out I am when I get sick - I can only imagine how it must affect our pals if/when they catch a common cold or virus. I'm thinking he will bounce back after a couple/few days of a lot of rest. Take care and know that my thoughts are with u. Trina

Barbie, it does sound like he is fighting something, with all the sleeping he is doing. Sleep is really a good thing for him, and don't worry about food when he is like that. Fluids are the most important thing, so that his secretions don't get too thick. I know what you mean about the coughing, sneezing, and blowing his nose, they just can't get enough of a breath to have any volume. Most importantly trust your instincts, you know him better than anyone else in the world. My biggest concern would be pneumonia. If he develops a fever or he wakes up feeling the same way tomorrow I think you should bring him in to see his doctor.

Is he coughing for you? Do you have a cough assist machine, or something that you can use to stack his breaths? 2 weeks ago, Tim choked a bit on some pineapple. He was not obstructed but couldn't get enough of a cough to clear his trachea. I got him to stack 2-3 breaths with his sip&puff ventilator, and squeezed his ribs in while vibrating my hands. I was surprised with how well that worked, as he actually got a strong cough out and moved the liquid. He was really pleasantly surprised with the results, and has started to stack breaths on his own when he goes to blow his nose. You could use a bag valve mask with a mouth piece on it to do the same thing.

Also a humidifier at his bed side would help a lot. My biggest fear is Tim catching a cold, as his breathing is already so compromised. We were able to get him a sip&puff Trilogy 100 ventilator, and it has helped him so much. Tim still has a great swallow, and facial control, so he just takes a breath on a mouth piece, that way he doesn't have to have a face mask or nasal pillows, except at night.

Again Barbie, if you continue to feel nervous just bring him in. You are a very intuitive woman, and don't panic easily, so trust yourself. You both will be in my prayers.

Paulette

Hi Barbie, thanks for telling us about your hubby! Oh man I am feeling for you two! It is amazing to me how the body responds to sickness or anything else that brings on fatigue! It literally hits when it wants and the body says --rest NOW and it is unwilling and unable to compromise! No down turn--oh no we don't want that but I know the fear! Rest and hydration--you are an awesome caregiver and wife! Keep us posted! Care about you and sending a friendly hi from super cold mn!

I can only imagine how worried your are, Barbie. Does he have a fever? Pneumonia does sound like a possibility, but I hope he is feeling better by now. Know that I am sending positive thoughts your way.

scary to watch and not be sure what is going on

hugs Barbie, keep us posted and be kind to yourself

Barbie, I will be very nervous too if I were in your position. As everyone else has said, he needs plenty of rest and hydration. And watch out for any signs of a fever.
Take care.

Barbie - how is your husband doing now?

Hey guys, well, I think it was just the last gasp of virus in his system. he started feeling better the next day, and went back to his once daily naps and got his appetite back. All that sleeping was just his body fighting and he won this battle! The bad news is my daughter came home yesterday with a bad case of the flu bug--different than what we had. I was freaking out--but thankfully she decided to go stay at her boyfriend's house and let him take care of her (since she caught it from him and he was over it already) she left the house and I sprayed Lysol on the furniture and wiped everything down! LOL.

Hopefully she was not around long enough to infect him (or me).

It is so good to be able to talk to you guys when you get nervous. Thanks everyone for being such a good support group.

That is great news Barbie. Nothing better than getting rest to help fight a bug.

Thanks for the good news update Barbie. We're all thinking of you.

We went to my sister and brother-in-laws for supper, as 2 of my other sisters and husbands were there. My one brother-in-law had a bad cold, took one look at Tim and walked into another room, and stayed away from us. He and my husband get along really well, and usually spend many hours in discussion, so it was disappointing, but we all appreciated his consideration. Hopefully it won't be too long before they come down again. We are also grateful that Tim's daughter does not seem to have picked up anything from her flight.
So glad your husband is on the mend Barbie. I am glad I am not working right now, and taking a chance on bringing something home with me.

Whew--good to hear! Thanks for the update! Sure is a full time job trying to keep everyone healthy and avoid the colds and bugs! Like the Lysol idea! I'll be picking some up just as soon as the -50 windchill subsides!

So glad all is OK Barbie, I've been thinking of you!

My husbands kids don't seem to understand that if they are sick they are not welcome to visit, well I think they are getting the point but it's been hard to get it across.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back