Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
FL
City
orlando
Just wondering about changes in skin color...my husband is naturally ruddy in tone but has become more and more pale. I would not say gray, more of a whiter shade of pale. maybe a bit gray when he first gets up in the morning. When I wash his face, it turns more red and natural looking as I rub the washcloth around but that fades quickly. He doesn't get much sun anymore (either too hot or too cold) so that does affect the top color, but his natural color is changed as well.

His skin also gets damaged easily--a tiny scratch will bleed crazy
and even putting a band-aid on will make the skin bleed more when we take it off from the adhesive. He doesn't have any unhealed sores thank goodness.

Any one else noticed this?

Barbie,

I noticed at the last ALS Walk, many or most of the people with ALS were almost totally white, no color to their skin at all. I commented on it to my sister. Everyone had the same color and almost a sheen to their skin.

Yes--I almost used the word "translucent" . I don't know if it is just lack of blood flow because the muscle atrophy.

Might melanin supplements help with skin color?

I am not worried about the color, only what it may mean. obviously he is sickly and thin so it is not going to have a healthy color. but I think about skin tone and CO2 buildup or lack of O2, or lack of muscle.

once my husband was choking and turned completely gray--now that was scary! I thought he was a goner that day.

The most likely reason for poor skin color would be poor oxygen levels. If he isn't already on BiPAP it is time for decision making. BiPAP is really a good comfort measure without requiring a tracheostomy. If he is using BiPAP it is time for the ventilator decision. The most frequent comment that I got when I went on a vent was ”You look so pink and healthy!”

My husband will not use a bipap. he doesn't think he needs one and can't be convinced that he would feel better with it and it is no big deal. As far as a vent--if that day ever comes I won't be here --sorry but no way am I going to be a caregiver of a vented patient. That sounds horrible, but it is the truth.

Yeah, Glen would wait until I left the room at night and then remove the biPap. Totally agree that the pale color is connected with CO2 buildup. Glen became quite pale towards the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back