Loved one DX
Country
HU
State
pest
City
uri
Dear All,

maybe I am not writing in the right topic... maybe this should go in the DIHALS topic.
This is my hopeless scream on the internet, for strangers.

I should be the caregiver of my mother, but I am not...

This is the story of our family (with some off-topic, not ALS-related threads)

I will be 27 yrs next month, married, and a mother of two (3 yrs old girl and 1 yr boy).
My husband is legally blind, with very little residual vision, by rare, uncurable eye disease called cone dystrophy. This is inheritable, its pattern in his family is X-linked recessive inheritance. He is a semi-pro para-athlete, competed at London Paralympics last year. I have been managing his sport career for 4 years. Both of us are an only child, my father died of excessive drinking while I was pregnant with our first child, my husband's father died long ago. My mother-in-law is disabled by an accident.

When we decided to have kids, we were aware of that it would be difficult, but my mother was happy to help us.

I was pregnant with our second child, when my mother started to complain of extreme fatigue, then her walking significantly slowed down (within weeks), became shuffly and unbalanced. Then she just tripped and fell. After one year of going to the doctors, she was diagnosed with rapidly progressive ALS (age 59). At the same time our little girl was sent for development therapies, with delayed speech development and signs of ADHD and mild autistic symptoms. I already had a long history of anxiety, depression, panic, suicidal thoughts, but at this point, I went mad, lost all of sanity.

Our world has broken.

I spent nights and nights on the internet, looking for some hope for my mother, alternative therapies, experimental drugs, anything.

Then, 5-6 weeks after my mother's diagnosis, once I woke up in the night with twitching in my neck. I had a severe panic attack then. From the next day, twitching set on all over my body, but especially below the waist: feet, calves, thighs, buttocks, and also: hands, arms, shoulders, face, lips, back, every.

I panicked I got it. Then I got a feeling of weakness on my left side, both hand and leg. Shakes, tremors, sense of vibrations, buzzing, something crawling in my muscles in my calves. At this point, I lost connections to my family. I became unable to take care of my children, play with them, take care of my husband, make love to him, speak to him, anything. I lost connections to all of our friends.

I developed a routine of strenght self-testing, which I am doing for hours, cannot stop. This includes jumping, both feet and on one foot, standing on one foot, squatting, squatting on one foot, pushups, walking on toes, walking on heels, walking in a squatting position, jumping in squatting positions, gripping one arm with the other hand, stand on hands, holding pushup position on fingers etc.

I went to a neuro, but she refused to examine me, said it was nothing but most severe anxiety, and that she did not need an EMG to say I did not have ALS. She was also quilified as a psychiatrist, so prescribed me Xanax and Parexetine. I do not take these beacuse I am still nursing the my son.

By this time, my mother's condition quickly declined. I became such a wreck, that it endangered the very basis of our family life, and threatened me with loosing our kids to child protection authorities.

We hired a qualified nurse for my mother, as I am a total wreck and unable to care for her.
I keep on thinking 24/7 that I also have ALS, I die by age 30 and who will raise my kids.

I got a new appt for the best neuro in our country, for 18th Dec. I really hope it is really just psychic problems with me, and can be cured. Please let it be not familial ALS - anyway, my mother's parents did not have ALS, lived long, 81 yrs and 83 yrs. But I do not have any more informations.

Sorry for this long, miserable stuff. Any positive comment would be really appreciated.

I am so sorry about your mom and her diagnosis...but that can not be the end of your life too!

First off, you must go on the medication that the neuro prescribed immediately. there is no reason for you to be nursing your son and not taking meds. I nursed all my kids, I know it is great and important, but you are way past that.! He is one years old, and if you cant care for him and are having a mental breakdown then what difference does the nursing make!? there is nothing wrong with formula in your situation. GET ON THE MEDS!

you do not need to have another appt with the best neuro in the country in December... you need an immediate appt with a local psychiatrist or psychologist and regular visits. I am saying this because from reading your post, you sound like you are having a mental emergency and I am scared for you and your children.

I am begging you, as a mother and a caregiver for an ALS patient, get the real help you need...you don't need to be asking us questions, you need to focus on your mental health TODAY. Call for an appointment. YOU don't have ALS--but you are suffering and your family is suffering. your anxiety and depression are treatable and you can have happiness again with your babies and husband, and loving time that is left with your mom.

Hi ! I am not a doctor but strongly feel that you definitely don't need to worry about having ALS. But, you do seem to have some very heavy stuff to deal with. I think all of your symptoms can all be caused by all the stress and anxiety you are going through. You sound very depressed and need professional help that we are far from qualified to give you on here. You really need to be on medicine in my opinion. Is there anyway you would consider stopping the nursing and do bottle -feeding. In your state of mind it also might not drain your energy as much as well. Please see a qualified psychiatrist and I mean a really good one. Then get you a counselor and see them frequently.
Do you have any friends or other relatives that can help you out with the kids until you start feeling better? Try to use all the resources you can to get some help. Clergy etc! Then push yourself hard to do whatever you can each day and set yourself goals to accomplish everyday. Try to get sunlight when you can. It does help with depression and try to get some exercise. (Even if that means cleaning the house)
I really don't feel this forum is what you need at this time. Please don't google your symptom on the internet either because it will only increase your anxiety unnecessarily. You truly can get better if you want too. YOU CAN DO IT! Your kids need you! Your husband needs you! Stay off the internet and work at it. Take it slowly one day at a time. I will pray for you! Kim

Dear Barbara and Kim,
thank you for your comments.
I am aware of the seriousness of the situation, but lost control.
Unfortunately we do not have any kind of help with the kids. My husband is doing his best, but with his visual impairment and trainings, his abilities are limited too. In 2011 we became preppers, moved out of the city, now we live in a village, and I do not have any connections to local people.
Today I had an especially bad day with many twitches, driving me crazy. Cannot stop thinking I got ALS from my mother.
Do not know what will come for us.

Hi Christina,
Did you talk to your Dr. about getting back on the meds it is crucial you get on them immediately to protect yourself and family from harm. If you feel bad today please rest up and get off here. You don't have ALS. You don't need to be here. But, you need help and NOW! Please go get it. Spend time with your children not on here. This forum will not help you at all with your issues. We do care but honestly can't help you. Kim

OK, first of all ALS is NOT a contagious disesase. You didn't catch anything from your mother. As someone who has had to deal with many of the symptoms you described, everything you've listed can be caused by extreme anxiety. I agree with Barbie that you need to find some good mental health care. You CAN get better... you have to WANT to get better. Then take the steps to do so.

Dear Katie,
sorry for my words. I meant inheritance, as ALS can be familial.

Dear friend, I am so sorry to hear of your plight. I am not a doctor but I have acquired much knowledge about ALS/MND over the years. I have been caring for my wife who suffered from ALS for 16 years. The symptoms you described have nothing to do with ALS. Those of your mother are quite typical. ALS is a progressive disease and all the symtoms you have described happening practically together just doesn't happen.

What you are going through is enough to make the strongest personality depressed. May I suggest that your many serious problems have caused hysteria, followed compulsive obsession, I am refering to your belief of suffering ALS. Considering that you probably have visited a psychiatrist which hopefully has helped you. Since you live in London may I suggest you contact the following address:
Rigpa,
330, Caledonian Road,
London N1 1BB
Tel. 071 700 0185

This is the British centre established by Sogyal Rinpoche, a famous Buddhist master. Please do not be put of because it is buddhist. They will be able to teach you meditation techniques. Forgive me for such a suggestion but I cannot see how you can otherwise overcome your multiple problems. If I can help please write to me when you need too.

Dear Geoffrey,
thank you for your positve approach.
Unfortunately, we do not live in London, we are in Hungary, Eastern Europe. Here it is impossible to find any kind of support. Though I do able to go back to the psychiatrist. Best regards, Kriszti

Dear Geoffrey,
thank you for your positve approach.
Unfortunately, we do not live in London, we are in Hungary, Eastern Europe. Here it is impossible to find any kind of support. Though I do able to go back to the psychiatrist. Best regards, Kriszti

Christina, I am so sorry for all the awful problems you and your family are dealing with at this time. I really hope you are able to get on the meds. I am here if you need to vent any time. My thoughts are with you.

well maybe the nuro will be able to ease your mind if anything ... many different thing can cause symptoms of many other things , so go talk to nuro and let him ease your mind then move on and do what you have to

Dears,
thank you again for your attention. Sadly, things are getting worse for me.
I cannot get a free psychiatrist appt for months, and we do not have more money for private practitioners. I am in so bad condition, my husband quit his trainings and his part-time job and stays at home with us, but is does not help me.
Today I was just taking the manure out of the stalls with a cast iron shovel, when felt pain in my forearm. When I finished the job I felt my left hand weak and painful. I got panic, cried badly, made the kids scared. My husband was very angry, really seemed to be fed up with me. Said that iron shovel was simply far too heavy for me, it was not my job, I never did manuring, it was his job and why I just made that instead of him.
I feel having ALS, I called a real estate oofice to sell our house, I want to pay back the rest ouf mortgage and my student loan, make a little fund for my kids and want them to move to my mother-in-low's apartment. Then I want to die together with my mom.

Christina,
You really probally not listen again! But, you desperately need to get off of here. Your problems aren't ALS related. I think you should go to your local hospital or medical facility and get checked out. They should have some resources to help you with the financial aspect of the cost. You seem to becoming more and more unstable with each post. Please for the sake of your children. Log off now and go get the help you need. We absolutely can't help you here with your issues.

think you answered your problem you want to die with your mother , now you need to think of would your mother want that and how about your children none of us can bear the loss of our parents but we make it thru and you will to just take what time you have left with her love her and enjoy what you can of the time she has left , she is not going to die today and you will have enough time to wait for the doctor you need , your husband and kids lie in your future love them as much as you can to because you never know when their time will end as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back