is there a way to reduce mucus/saliva production? and regarding papaya tablets...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alswarrior

Reason
Friend was DX
Diagnosis
05/2008
Country
US
State
CA
City
gardena
Regarding papaya tablets, for those who have had success with this method of grinding down the tablets to break down thick saliva, what were the amounts (in milligrams) of papain and bromelain? And, if possible I'd like to know what brand and the product name.

My relative has some thick mucus especially when she wakes up from a nights sleep, probably from open mouth breathing. So, when she's out of bed it is good for her to spit it out. But through the day she is drooling and I was wondering if there was a way to reduce that drooling which seems to be from too much saliva?

My wife's drooling was so bad the coffee table near her wheel chair would be piled high with wet napkins from excessive drooling.

Hospice doctor prescribed Glycopyrrol .

one tablet three times a day.

It did wonders in controlling excess saliva !

Mom's saliva/drooling was also such a pain in the rear. We would fold paper towels into squares which she for the longest time would just hold in her mouth to absorb the saliva. Eventually we tried Benedryl and it was a godsend. Small dose, one every 12 hours, and it worked so well! Glycopyrrol dried her up too much and made the saliva too thick, which then created different problems like choking.

thanks bemindful, I am going to talk to my PALS about trying the benedryl, the saliva is really a problem.

for us it's not just that it is annoying to be drooling, but most of my PALS aspiration episodes have been because of drowning in saliva

My mom takes 10 mg amitryptiline every nite and it seems to really decrease the saliva. It is prescribed to calm her down.

Yes, Om felt like she was drowning as well. Do you have a suction machine to help with this? We used the suction machine, which was very helpful. But strangely sometimes the suction machine seemed to stimulate the salivary glands to produce more. I hope the Benadryl helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back