Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Cincinnati
I can usually help my mom walk by holding on to her from behind or using a gate belt. My dad has better luck because he is taller. Today she tripped over her left foot and I was not able to catch her. I feel so guilty. Her left foot seems to be bending sideways on its own. Is there anything at all that will help? The fact she is still able to walk with assistance seems to be too good to be true. As do many things when they start declining.

Hi Angela,
Sorry to hear about your mom having a fall. Don't blame yourself because unfortunately accidents happen with this. I feel quilty because my dad refuses to ever let me help him with getting around. He doesn't trust me to even attempt to move him with a gait belt, walker, or whatever. I feel helpless. He lets me fetch stuff for him such as his medicines, toothbrush, or snacks but other then that he doesn't want help. I don't know if they have anything such as a brace or something that would help out your mom? Maybe, some other members might know. Keep your chin up! Kim

@AngelaRenee:

I am so sorry to hear your mom had a fall.

Falls are very dangerous even for healthy people, let alone a person with ALS.
A bad fall, could cause her to break bones such as arms, wrists, legs, hips, or even skull bones.
Furthermore, falls could even speed up the progression of ALS on that person.

Has your mother considered going wheelchair most of the time?
Explain to her that sitting on a wheelchair doesn't necessarily means that she would be giving up to the disease, on the contrary. That may extend her life by some more time and would help her save energy which us PALS don't have in abundance. Also would easy the worries you and other caregivers for her at home about her having a bad fall and needing to be rushed to hospital E.R. with a bad fracture.

Please, think about it.

Take care and be safe.

have fallen 7-8 times, fractured two ribs right side once, year later fell again and fractured three ribs left side. the immune system does not need to be maxed out repairing bones, it needs to concentrate on als. if still walking she can propel herself around the house with big wheeled chair and fold it up to go shopping, being pushed or propelling herself. recommend you consider this.

Hey--what Carlos said is very true. A wheelchair or a scooter will save her strength and prevent falls.

Both my husband's feet bend in also (I call them ballerina toes jokingly) and I have spent years stretching them but they always go right back. He can balance on them, but not walk. there are braces for the feet, but they will make her walking even more difficult. she needs to move more slowly, and if she still wants to walk, really needs a walker for more stability.

she needs to use a walker if she insists on walking, or get an inexpensive scooter or transfer chair for the house. don't go through medicare for those though--they will only pay of one item and you need it to be the Power chair that is coming for her because they are very expensive. Talk to her doctor about getting the ball rolling on a PWC--it can take 2-3 months to get.

Sometimes the local ALS association or MDA can get you a transfer chair. That way she can try it out and it doesn't have to seem like an expense or commitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back