Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
SMALL TOWN IN
My dad needs 24/7 care with him in his home. I was wondering what are the best ways to interview or screen potential caregivers? I'm not sure what to all ask. Any advice appreciated. Thanks, Kim

It's a critical job. I'm skipping over the education and experience requisites as you know what these are based on your dad's needs.

Have you thought of using an agency - candidates are screened, insured & bonded. Typically, they also have police checks. Make sure the latter is no more than 6 months old.

If not - references, references, references. Check them thoroughly. Make sure your job specs. match the experience. Include your dad in the decision making process - he, above all, must be comfortable.

If you hire someone, do a few surprise visits. Can't hurt.

Have you asked the social worker from your local ALS clinic? At our support meeting last week the nurse and social worker from the Les Turner ALS Foundation (here in Chicago) offered up some ALS-familiar caregivers that they personally knew of and highly recommended. This would be a great way to go! Hope this helps :)

Love and light to you <3

I would suggest an agency as you can let them go easily if they don't work out and find new ones easily. I think you need to make sure they respect your dad, look him in the eye and talk to him as an adult. that was important to us when we met with CNAs for my husband.

The process does differ based on what level of caregivers you need and whether they are doing it alone or augmenting family. However, in every state, you can verify any stated credential such as CNA, NAR, RN on line. You can also check state/local criminal records on line and I have weeded out people accordingly. Before you shell out for the record check, Google is a great start and may be your last stop. I have also hired people who had a criminal record after grilling them about particulars.

References alone are not reliable -- colleagues are often getting a piece of the action and patients are -- let's face it -- dependent or sometimes even fearful of an "ex." Ask for an academic reference (preceptor, other faculty) as well as professional ones. Depending on the level of care your dad needs, place postings at local pre-health professions programs (e.g. Pre-Nursing students), nursing schools, general university and CNA program alumni boards, and yes...even Craigslist (if you use the services and/or gigs categories, you can avoid the job posting fees). Network among friends, colleagues, everyone you know. Post on local forums. Lots of people are looking for steady work these days, and it's no knock on them to be looking on their own.

As far as the interview, have a conversation just the way you would if you had met a new colleague at work, teacher, clergyperson, plumber, gardener or whatever. Don't fire a lot of prefab questions off, other than standards like why are you interested and what hours are you available. Just talk and mostly listen. Learn about the person as a person first and a professional second. Use your instincts to know who you (and especially your dad) want to be with. Credentials are not (usually) as important as willingness to learn and ability to care. The group of caregivers I've met who had ALS experience were not any more impressive as a group than those who didn't. There's no magic in that since it's mostly chance. I presume that you'll meet finalists with your dad, and also give top candidates and your dad time alone for their own form of communication, before choices are made.

Some people here are happy with using agencies. You can try that route and see how it goes, but I would not rule out your own abilities before you have taken them for a spin. The experts on your dad are all in your family, not sitting behind an agency desk. And, of course, there can be major differences in cost.

Let us know how it goes...all the best.

--Laurie

I agree with all of the above. A wonderful resource is the local colleges that have nursing students. Sometimes it tamarindo students several years to complete the degree. Ask the instructors for advice. Put a flyer in the nursing department.

Thank you all who have responded. We did have a nursing students help out for several months before he graduated and moved. He was great and had a wonderful personality. My sister along with dad usually take care of arranging most of his health care but I feel like I need to start taking more responsiblity for things as well. I try to do what I can for dad such as running errands and things. But, he doesn't want me giving him a shower or taking him to the bathroom. We have a hoyer lift that we can get from a relative to help lift him but it is way too big to fit in his bedroom. Dad still makes all of his decision and I am his power of attorney along with my sister and brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back