Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Cincinnati
I would like everyones opinions on a power chair. I am thinking it would be a great idea for my mother right now. Her arm is getting weak and she cannot use her hand but I still think she would be able to maneuver one for the time being. She is against this idea, and so is my father. I figure its worth a try and may be able to give her some independence. Thoughts?

As in all things like this, I feel it is best to err on the side of what the PALS wants. If your dad is the primary caregiver and is also against the idea, I'd say let it be rather than pressure them about something.

why are they against the idea? is it she isn't ready for one or they never want one? If she goes to a clinic they will suggest one when she starts to decline--also, your parents can ask about it and start looking into it. But let them make the decision, you don't need to stress about it. they can always change their mind down the road.

Angela,

I get it. I totally get your Mom. The thought of wheels is overwhelming for me too. I also have a weak arm and gimpy left hand. It's my desire and goal to walk as long as possible. I have an AFO for my weak left leg. I use a cane. Last week, for the first time ever, I had a couple of very minor falls ( my own stupidity), so I borrowed a PWC. It's gone back now as my injury has healed. I'm using a scooter, in and out of the house. It's great! The seat swivels for ease of access and it fits everywhere. Plus, it comes apart easily (30 seconds) and we can take it with us. I use the scooter to save energy. Not because I can not walk.

That being said, I'm also realistic. We will be looking into the PWC thing at some point. I am also thinking that the walker currently stored under my bed is an additional option for me. Besides the scooter, we got a great power tilt recliner. It helps. I had lost some lift off ability on the left.

I absolutely know and understand many forum members will disagree with my choice, but I am adamant that I shall remain upright.

Denial? Maybe - but it works for me. I'm not advocating being without a PWC for everyone. I can borrow one in a pinch. Just wanted you to see it from another (stubborn) PALS perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back