Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
ma
City
Boston
Has anyone had any experience with one of these pre-fab cottages (they call them granny pods) that can be built quickly in your backyard?

I'm still struggling to figure out the right solution for my 86 year old fiercely independent father. He's in a ground floor apartment (no stairs) right now but it has a tub not a stall shower. I know managing that shower will be tough even with help.

My home has stairs everywhere (into the house and the bathrooms are all on the second floor). Beyond the stairs, there is the independence and privacy concerns that he has and the worries of being a burden.

He is saying "assisted living" but I can't believe that this will be viable for too long.

Just wondering if anyone went the "granny pod" route. I realize that I may still need help but there is something comforting in being able to give him some privacy but having him nearby so that his grandson can spend time with him.

Sorry for the long post. I'm still in completely overwhelmed mode.

Jennifer

Hi again Jennifer
I would have concerns about the granny pod as being too isolated. It might work for a while but a big investment for a short time?

No one can predict progression but progressive paralysis and loss of voice happen often all too quickly. There is no way I would feel safe with my sister in such a building. At this point she is never truly alone. If she is lying down I might be round the corner in the next room where I could hear any noise but even then I check her frequently. At night she shares a bed with her husband so that is not an issue but if were single it would be a problem.

You are in a tough situation for sure. I know someone suggested home care which might work in conjunction with the granny pod if he can afford it. Have you talked to the social worker at the clinic yet?

Good luck
Nikki

Nikki-

Thanks. Home care at night and me during the day in the granny pod was what I was going to do. But I spoke to MedCottage this morning and they don't have a license to install in Massachusetts so it's a moot point.

Thanks for your advice.

Jennifer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back