Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
FL
City
orlando
today I learned a good lesson in having a backup plan. I took my husband out for a day trip in our van. It has been running fine--so I wasn't even worried. Well, murphy's law--we stopped at our shop, walked around a bit and I left the van completely open. he got back in and I shut all the doors. they ran slower than normal but I didn't really think anything of it. I got behind the wheel and nothing. wouldn't turn over, nothing..the doors opened but the ramp would not deploy so he was stuck inside the van and we were out in the country all alone.

I was able to get a hold of a friend who came out with jumper cables and we got the van started--but what if it had been more than just the battery? How would I get him oe his chair out of the van and how would I get him and the chair home if the van had to go to the shop? while I waited for my friend, I called a mobilty van rental place in town, but they didn't have any vans available--they are very small. I tried to think of the county transport name, but since it was a sunday there was no way to get a hold of them, and we have never registered with them anyway.

Yes, I have roadside assistance, but what if the van had to be towed? I don't think they would let him stay inthe van while it was being towed--I am sure that is not safe or legal.

Luckily it was not hot outside when he was stuck in the van, and luckily it was just the battery and not the starter or alternator==but I thought that the van rental place was a good backup plan until I actually called them. I don't know what the answer is...

PS. after I got my jump, drove straight to the Auto parts store and they replace the battery!

having just gotten our van...thank you for making me think!

Barbie, you know you can call me anytime 24/7, when you're in trouble. --Mike
PM me for my phone number.

The ramps deploy manually, without electricity, both up and down. You need to know where the disconnection is.

Barbie-

I'm thinking a call to 911 would be acceptable. Maybe they could get in touch with the county transport services to make an emergency trip? At the very least, 911 could connect you with the police to find a solution.

Mike, do you have a brother in PA? :lol:

This exact same thing happened to us the other day. At least we were in the driveway and a friend went for jumper cables. But Tom was stuck inside too, not because the ramp wouldn't go down (it's manual), but because his chair lock in system doesn't unlock if there is no battery power. If there is a manual release, we can't find it so we are going to call the dealership tomorrow. --Diane

Barbie,
Have you thought about keeping a battery booster/jump starter in the van? That way you don't need another vehicle to start yours (no waiting on cables and/or someone else). There are many, many brands and models to choose from but WM sells one (made by Stanley) for less than $80.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back