Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Cincinnati
Hello. My mother has all the symptoms of PLS/MND but has not been officially diagnosed. She can barely eat because of the weakness in her hands. She has slow/slurrred speech, laughing episodes, light swallowing issues, weakness in legs etc. I am planning on getting a wheelchair for her next week for when she goes places. I give her showers when I am able but I do not live at home. Luckily I am about 15 mins away.

I am just curious to know is anyone pays for a home healthcare lpn/nurse to assist with there loved ones? I would quit my dead end job in a heartbeat to take care of her, but I am not sure what to do. Please give me some advice?

Maybe your parents have insurance? I know in your earlier thread you mentioned they are struggling with accepting this, but I think you ought to discuss the financial implications with them. You can also ask your Mom what she wants.

For myself, if I has a daughter, in some ways I think she would be the most caring of caregivers, but on the other hand, I may not want my child to give up part of her life in order to do so. It's a tough decision. Moreover, it is a very very very tough job to be a full time caregiver. A family meeting may be in order to share the care? The support group you will attend shortly will likely also give you information about this and many other issues relating to her care, including available assistance, both financial and equipment wise.

We pay for home health care out of pocket. It's $20.00 per hour. I don't think insurance will pay for custodial care. Just medical care like nurses and such in home.

The one day I've left the house to go to work, we paid out of pocket, also. Yep, $20 an hour in California, too.

I am fortunate enough to have LTC insurance which will pay $50. a day. We have a CNA 5 days a week for 3 hours a day and it only costs us $10. per day.

If you're signed up for Hospice they will send a CNA once or twice a week with no cost to you. Hospice also has a Social Worker who can find other options out there. And you don't have to be in final stages. They will take ALS patients early.

There are a lot of volunteers out there but they do no good if they can not transfer you or take you to the bathroom if you need assistance. They can do other things though. Check with your local ALS origination to see what's available. .

We just hired a CNA 5 days a week for 20 hrs. $14.50/ hr. she is wonderful and i am so relieved.

I am very lucky to have found someone so good so quickly. not everyone is so lucky. I will say, I cared for my husband by myself for 5 years because we could not afford the CNA and he needed help but not 20/week until recently. for you to give up your job and your life will take alot of thought and consideration. ask yourself some questions:
does mom live alone? that doesnt work out for most pals and is dangerous she will need someone
is anyone else able to care for her part time? is she married or have a partner at home
can she afford home health care?
can you afford to stop working?
can you emotionally handle caring for her? it does not get easier with time and you can not just up and leave her if it is too hard, you will have to arrange for other care.
does she need full time care already? if not, then maybe you could just move in and continue to work and care for her the rest of the time. Be there to help with meals and personal hygene, and safety for her, and doc visits and moral support.

before you take over her caregiving, really think it through. You would be doing a wonderful and important job but it do not fool yourself it is HARD!

I salute you for considering it and hope things work out for you both.

Good luck magpuff for both you and your mom.

Hi, Angela Renee -- don't quit your job unless/until you know you want to be a FT caregiver, but maybe you could give it a trial run via vacation time if you have any. Have a plan for getting/keeping health benefits, income replacement, etc.

If you decide it's not for you, a CNA, NAC, NAR or whatever they call it in your state is the least expensive credentialed option at this point. If you live near a college w/ a pre-nursing program, usually some students there will have obtained their CNAs for part-time work. Our luck has been better with that route so far than "professional CNAs." You can also hire through an agency though that will add markup and potentially reduce control. Your local ALSA and/or MDA may keep a list of individuals/agencies with ALS experience but the evaluation of who is right for your mom is up to the two of you.

In truth, though some will disagree, a trainable HS student or person off the street, so to speak, could help your mom as well. I have seen a CNA exam. There is no magic to certification, but it's a reflection of the potential commitment to this kind of work, though not a guarantee of a caring spirit or conscientiousness. As others have said, you will want to find the best person/people for your mom. Maybe that is mostly you and maybe not. Either way, your mom is lucky to have you thinking ahead w/ her and looking for the best options, and to have you involved in her care one way or another.

Also look for Personal Care Assistant (PCA) ... helps with bathing, meals, housework, laundry etc. My insurance pays for 4 1/4 hours right now.

The difference is that a PCA is a self-designation. CNA, etc. are State credentials based on course completion + exam, and there is a cursory background check, e.g. for felonies. Sometimes a criminal background prompts probation. This information is obtainable via State Web site.

If you do hire a stranger w/o credentials, a background check through one of the online services would be money well spent.

MassHealth maintains a list on their website for approved PCA's... mine is actually also a CNA, and is attending school to become a nurse. And my new neurologist told me he was a PCA for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back