Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
CA
State
On
City
Perth, Ontario
On friday we had to get dad to the Hospital so the ambulance came and took him in mom follwoed in the car.
x-rays and blood tests later he has fluid on his lungs.

So, he is on high dose antibiotics, the put him on Oxygen full time and he is on another pill that is suposed to remove fluid from his body but the fluid has to go somwhere so he has to pee evey 15 minutes. Which is fine we can deal with that.

The problem is that with the pill that takes away the fluids has made the phlem thicker and he can't cough up what is in his lungs what forms in his mouth we are suctioning him all the time.

He has lost a lot of his energy and he has been sleeping a lot more since he went to the hospital its like that trip took all of his energy. He has told us how miserable he is and it is so hard to understand him he dosn't have the energy to use his speach device. I feel so helpless, Mom and I can't do anything to help and it is driving us crazy.

I feel like he is giving up

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'll have him and your family in my prayers. My list is getting very large. This seems to be a rough Autumn for us all.

Hi Chase,
Sorry about your dad. I can't remember whether or not he uses a BiPAP. Giving him high pressure oxygen isn't the greatest thing with ALS. If he has breathing difficulties even without pneumonia, it's hard to expel CO2. I'm sure you are aware if this. Sometimes physicians don't know a lot about ALS so it's always good to advocate. Hospital visits are draining for patients and their family members and I know how devoted you are. Thinking of you during this difficult and tiring period. Yasmin.

Thinking of you x

So sorry to hear about your Dad, Chase. The trip to the hospital is enough to wear anyone out, but especially us PALS. Pneumonia iss very fatiguing as well. If you have a cough assist, now is the time to use it, if not, please ask his Doc to order one. It makes a difference. Fluid replacement is important too.
Take care.

So sad to read about your Dad. Hopefully he is not giving up- but just giving in to the fatigue- and it's no wonder. Pneumonia is hard enough on otherwise healthy folk. Once the antibiotics work their magic, he may gain more strength. Being with him and making sure he is well cared for is all you can do. You are a wonderful daughter and I'm certain that helps your Mom so much also.
I wish you all the best in this tough situation.

So Sorry to hear this. Good advise from everyone. Keep us updated--hopefully he will be feeling better soon .

Since friday when he went to the hospital dad has gotten 10 times worse. He is exhausted having asked to go to bed before 8pm yesterday when he normally goes to bed around 11.

We had my brother come over before he headed out on the road for work, just in case anything were to happen we wanted my brother to have the chance to see dad before he passes.

I have researched Oxygen with ALS patients and know its normally only given in a palative situation to relieve symptoms and make the person comfortable. I know dad is at that point. Although he is not in pain, he is no longer able to speak very well and can barely stand between transfers from bed to chair to toilet. I am begining to think that he won't be here for Christmas and I have mixed emotions about that. Mom and I are exhausted. Normally I stay up at night and listen for dad, then I sleep in in the morning and mom takes care of dad then mom napps in the afternoon. This can't continue forever.

I know dad is tired too... I think my loosing my job was fortuidous in this case. Mom couldn't take all of this on herself she can't lift dad alone, I guess god always has a plan.

I'm sorry Chase.

So sorry. I wish I could make it easier for you and your family. Thinking of you.

I'm so sorry Chase. I'm thinking about you and saying prayers.

Laurel

Thinking of you, Chase. So sorry this is happening. Yasmin.

Chase,
I'm so sorry! Sending hugs your way!

Jen

I am sad to hear of your Dad doing poorly. You are in my prayers.

My father passed away today October 31, 2012 at about 10:30m this morning. He had gotten up and we got him through his shower, mom had finnished saving him and he was sitting in his favorite chair watching a show he likes. The nurse came to take some blood for testing and we went to the kitchen to see her out. When we came back into the living room where he was Dad had stopped breathing.

Last night he told us he was ready to give up, and we told him if he needed to give up that we loved him but that if he felt it was his time to go that it was alright.

It was peaceful, it was quiet, it was at home.

He will be burried on his Birthday, this Saturday November 3rd, he would have been 67.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back