Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessie

Hi
Am new to this site and just registered this AM. My husband was diagnosed with ALS in late Aug. He was a long distance runner and nature enthusiast. We are slowly adjusting to the ravages of this awful disease. Two things I have learned so far:
try to take it a day at a time and
accept whatever help is offered.
Neither is easy to do.
We are fortunate to have a supportive network of family and friends. Also, the ALS Society and ALS Clinic in Calgary have helped us so much.
Any ideas on useful and brilliant Christmas gift ideas for someone with ALS?!
I look forward this new connection with the larger ALS community.
Jessie

Hi Jessie:
Glad you've joined us... sorry you're here. The Christmas present thing is a difficult problem for us to help you with since everybody's particular circumstances are different depending on the degree of impairment.

I tried to get my wife stuff I used to get her when she was healthy and include her in as much stuff as was physically possible. For her it was books... and when she could no longer turn the pages... audio books.

As a male of the species I am woefully inadequet in the thoughtful Christmas gift idea thing... I hope somebody else here who's in touch with the right side of her brain can do a better job!

Good Luck

T.

Hi All,

Ted, I was gonna send you my Christmas List, I am sure you can read! I only want a few things! I know you love shopping...? yah, right!
As for some ideas for gifts:

DVD's
Books (like T said, audio if not able to turn pages)
CD's
Cologne or Perfume
Foot Spa (really comes in handy for circulation)
Socks (really colourful ones!)
Relaxation Tapes
Fish Tank
Meditation rocks or fountain
Footstool
A nice Lazyboy

I hope this little list helps you out a little bit. I know it gets harder and herder each year. But, if you run out of ideas just wrap up a great big package of LOVE !

Anice bottle of wine
Hockey tickets
Theatre tickets are nice too....

Welcome to our home, and good luck with your shopping. Have fun.

Stay Strong, and if you need anything, do not hesitate to ask. We are all here for you and your family.

Love, Carol

Computer software.

Our family has just bought my husband a laptop with DRAGON NATURALLY SPEAKING software. We are just in the process of 'training' the program to his speech, but it is amazing! Hopefully it will help him to read the newspapers, surf the net, and email friends. The computer was expensive, but the software wasn't. (He cannot use his hands & arms.)

Best wishes!

Snowbird*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back