Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
Al
City
Valley
As most of you know I am still working full time, Bruce has gotten pretty bad, no speech, two fingers on left arm still work, feeding tube..ect. The point is from the time I get home I am running trying to do for him, keep up everything else. I am beat, burntout. Hospice says I can put him in the hospital for up to 5 days evry 45 days. I need this at least for a few days, but I am scared they won't watch him good, won't be able to understand what he needs, and other worries. I also feel like I am letting him down and feel guilty. I am just so tired...

Joni, can you watch him good with you being so exhausted? Give it a try, if he is to traumatized by it, you can bring him home

try it once Joni--otherwise you are going to end up in the hospital yourself. be sure and pamper yourself a little while he is gone--and try not to feel guilty that you need a break. Is there anyway you can get some help at home after he gets out? Maybe someone from your company can come and help one or two night a week.

i suggest a massage, pedicure and a nice dinner out with a girl friend.

good luck honey...

No guilt allowed, joni! You need to do this for him too.

Joni, I try and not comment on the CALS section too much but this time I will. You need a break, you are entitled to a break, you do not need to feel guilty about taking one, at all. Of course they won't take as good a care of Bruce as you do, that is a given. He will notice and probably tell you so afterwards but that does not mean you should not do it. Please, at the very least give it not one but two goes. I would expect it will be hard on you both the first time but the second time should be easier. This is what I would want for my husband when the time comes.

I hope they call tomorrow with a plan..at least try 2 days, sleeping eating, sleeping, soaking in the hot tub, massage all sound great!

As Kiwii says, as a PALS I would want my caregiver to get a break... and maybe a change of scenery won't be so scary the second time... you need to take of yourself too. Enjoy yourself, or at least try to, the next time will be easier.

Helen, I feel like you do, I wished my husband could go for a week to the ocean. I encourage him to get away when he can. I know most men will not like this, but I think women are more thoughtful about this kind of thing. I could be wrong and if I am I will hear about it.

I hope you are able to take advantage of the break from caregiving. Make sure he is able to push the call button for help. A foot button may be necessary and easier for him.

I know this will be hard for you, but you need some rest. You cannot continue to do this without help, Joni.

Love you and sorry you are going through such a tough time.

Oh Joni, I am so sorry it has been so ruff for you. My hat is off to all CALS, you are so special. You do need a break, I would want my caregiver to beable to have some time to rest and recoop and maybe some fun too without feeling guilty. You know he will understand, if it were you in his place you would want the same for your Cals I am sure. Can you get friends or family to come help or part time nurse also? {{BIG HUGS}}

Joni - love you girl - big hugs coming to you from all the CALS who understand your dilemma. (((((Hugs))))))! Take some time off....

You definitely need a break now and then - for both him and you. I'm sorry to give you yet one more 'to do', but check around for a hospice facility rather than a hospital that you can use. It may be tricky because it probably isn't run by the same company as your current hospice (or they would have mentioned it), but I don't think it's impossible. Please talk to a social worker (the ALS association should have one on staff) and see if he/she can give you some advice. Good luck, take care, and don't feel even a little bit bad about needing and taking a break.

Or Hospice here says they would sit with me but would not take me to the bathroom because they are not trained and I was wondering if all Hospice is like that. They would not have to lift me

My partner stayed in our local hospice for 6 weeks in Jan/Feb. This was following two bouts of pneumonia, two hospital stays, retiring and not having a care package in place, and in order to get him established on PEG feeding. Also, CJ husband had just passed away in the hospice, and I was really reluctant to leave L there. But we really had no choice. Things may be different in the US but some of the things I have learned:
- Majority of staff did not have much experience with ALS/MND and required training on all of the equipment (cough assist, NIV, PEG). This was done on site, with other from L’s team delivering it (e.g. respiratory nurse came to train staff on NIV). Despite training somebody did not plug the NIV to the mains so it ran out of power in the middle of the night. Luckily, L was able to push an alarm button, otherwise he would have suffocated. This brings me to my second point .
- Make sure Bruce can alert staff and that there is a reasonably short span between an alert and somebody coming in. We tried environmental controls (provided by hospice) which allowed L to raise an alarm but in the end settled for a large, switch like button, always securely taped by L’s side.
- Beware of ‘night sedation’, that is medication given to help people sleep. We have found that this was dished out relentlessly. And on particular type is really not good for MND patients as it suppresses their breathing a lot.
- Make sure they have equipment such as hoists, appropriate slings, shower chairs etc. We had to bring some of our own equipment and they were fine about it.
- Once L was settled and staff got used to him things fell into place. But I still went to see him 3 times each day (it was only 5 mins drive) and have kept an eye on everything (and there were issues along the way with the way his care was delivered).
- L found it difficult to see so many people die around him (about 15 in 6 weeks) but has kept up his spirits.
- Food was excellent, home cooked and available 24/7. And so was gin and tonic : )
- Visiting hours were also 24/7.
I missed him terribly, took our son there every day (they had a family room) and I felt guilty. But I did get a few good nights of sleep and enjoyed just chilling out in the evening, having a glass of wine, catching up on correspondence... instead of embarking on a relentless bed time routine, night after night. His stay allowed me to have a break, for his care package to be arranged, as well as to learn what hospice stay entails, should we need to use them in the future.

All the best, Dani

Thanks for the info Dani, I too remember CJ's husband passing from the accident in there, scary. I also know they probably know nothing or very little about ALS. This is why I am so reluctant. Because he has very little use of his hands, and has no voice, and is suctioning constantly..wellI just don't know. waiting to here back from hospice still with a plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back