Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
CA
State
On
City
Perth, Ontario
I was laying in bed awake, like normal, last night and began thinking of things that I miss.

Things that dad used to do, you know little things that might have anoyed you at the time or just little observations.

Like in my case Dad used to, well what I called it was "whistle breathe" which was kinda a half hearted whistle while breathing. Half the time I am sure he wasn't aware he was going it, it just came so naturally to him. I remember sitting in the shop with him as a kid doing some wood working or fixing fishing rods listening to him, and he had these tunes he made up in his head that practically everyone in the family knew by heart.

Another thing is that he always used to talk to the pets. Yeah I know, Anoying because I would always ask "are you talking to me?" his reply would be "Nope, talking to Mr. Cat", or the dog, hampster, fish and somtimes the turtle.

Thinking back on these things make me laugh and cry a little too. Heck I even miss his yelling at the tv to some extent, I am sure the politicians on the news don't know how idiotic they are without my dad's running commentary.

I guess the thing that I miss the most that ALS took from him is his voice. The voice that comforted me when my grandma died, the voice that yelled at me when I almost wrecked the tractor, the laugh that made his mustache curl up at its edges. The voice that tried to assure me that everything wo0uld be alright.

When I leave the house to go to work or go on erands I always ask my dad if there is anything he would like from town. Lately his answer has been the same. He musters all his strength and whispers faintly "a new body would be good".

I smile and give him a kiss, "I'll keep an eye out for one of those" I reply, "or at least check the frozen food section" he always gives me a little grin. Will that be the thing that I start missing next week?

What a sweet tribute to your dad.

I agree, wonderful words for a lovely man...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back