Diagnosis
03/2008
Country
US
State
VA
City
Stafford
I am so angry and disappointed in the medical community. I feel like I must have a sign on my back that says "sucker!" Eric lost the use of his legs over the weekend, so we are now in need of the ceiling lift that the ALS Association loaned us months ago. I contacted a local company the ALS Association recommended for an estimate for installation. The guy said that we have everything (bolts, clamps, motor, etc.) and it will only take about an hour to install 12 feet of track. He emailed me the estimate.... $775 for one hour worth of work! I asked him how could it be this much for one hour and he said he was too optimistic and needed to factor in carrying in the ladders, getting the tools together, finding the studs, etc. He's so lucky he was communicating with me via email!

Why do companies that are to help people with disabilities try to swindle us out of every dime they can? I would be so ashamed of myself for charging $775 for 1 or 2 hours of work. I'll carry his ladder for him and drag his toolbox into our house too. What the heck!

Thanks for letting me vent! Now maybe I will be a little more composed when I speak to him again.

Wait. That's ridiculous! It seems to me, anyway. You have all the materials and just need the labor? Got any friends that can chip in to do this screwing and bolting into studs isn't that hard for able bodied guys and gals! You obviously want it secure, but $775 for ONE hour?

Ii would tell the ALSA that the guy they recommended is charging so much... and look elsewhere... angie's list is a good start I hear, but ask your' neighbors who they use. And you only need a handyman, not a brain surgeon! There are handyman franchises that I've heard are pretty good.

Good luck!

Here at our hospital they have volunteers called the "Helping Hand" they will come in and do what you need within reason. They are not allowed to accept any money you have to pay the organization for anything they have to buy for you. They do not work for the hospital but their pamphlets are on display. Maybe they have an organization like that you could check into.

Call Lisa at ALSGA , she is in GA may know someone in your area. 1 916 397 4190

Last edited:
I would let ALSA know, and I'm sure your local tv knews has an investigative unit that would LOVE to expose this guy!

Thanks ladies. Good idea, I will definitely let the ALS Association know about this. We have a friend who said he will install it on Saturday. Thank goodness for good friends near by and on this forum! :)

So glad you were able to have friends install the lift! The last thing you need is to have to deal with the stress of someone trying to take advantage of you - I suppose we are all vulnerable to people that would stoop that low; it's hard to imagine that there are people that would take advantage of this type of situation. Take care.

I'm so glad you have a friend that can install the tracks for you. Our tracks were loaned to us by our local ALS Society - they installed them at no cost to us. Hope you let your ALSA about this rip-off guy! Yasmin.

He priced himself right out of a job, didn't he? Glad a friend is willing to help y'all out!

What a terrible guy! I hope you call the ALS assoc and he losses out on all their business. Glad your friend can help you

Shame on that man..$775 an hour. Please let your local ALS staff know about the ripoff & love love the idea of you turning into your local investigating tv station. I so glad you have such good friends to help.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I wanted to let you know that the ceiling track is in place and ready to go. Our son and friend installed it without a problem. We are very blessed with a huge support system!

I also spoke with our ALS Association chapter, and they read my post and starting investigating immediately. I'm glad to know they have our back and are watching out for us. Hopefully, this company will think twice before over charging another PALS!

Have a good week everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back