04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Has anyone been in this situation?
My PALS does not qualify for SSDI or SSI. She has been a stay at home parent for the last few years (enough years that she does not meet the recent work requirement for ssdi) She has the work credits from previous work but for SSDI that is not enough. Does anyone have experience with this and can she get medicare? We are not getting good information from the SS office so far.
Thanks for any advice!

Any luck with info on the website?

no. I could not find the specific situation even after going through the FAQs. I submitted a question got an unclear answer. submitted a second question and am waiting for a reply. I would think this is not that uncommon a situation even in these days of working moms some still stay home when they are able until their children are in all day school. my PALS was getting ready to go back to work when her symptoms started

I think she has to qualify for one. One is for low income or no income

Try some of the more recent threads on this topic in the archives.
There's a link back to some at the bottom of the page.

Does she qualify for MassHealth Disability? I think its called CommonHealth as well...

I think that 10 year rule is wrong, it definitely discriminates against women who work, stay home with their kids, etc. It should be the whole work history!

No to Masshealth and db thanks for pointing me to the old threads found one that answered and it is correct. No ssdi no medicare!
unfair I think but correct!
Thanks guys!

It certainly is wrong, Helen, but unfortunately it's true. My husband has enough quarters to collect Social Security but since his work history does not contain 10 consecutive years of paying into the system, he cannot collect Disability. He was a Connecticut teacher and they do not pay into Social Security. His very tiny SS pension comes from sporadic summer work over the years. Everyone who has ALS is fast-tracked to Medicare, however, regardless of their age.

dragonfly are you saying you can get medicare without being able to get social security even if you are under 65? from what I read on the old threads I thought if you don't have the recent work credits for social security disability you could not get medicare either?

You need to consult an attorney that does disability. I thought you could drop the lowest 3 years out of the last 10.

It really burns my biscuits that stay home moms are punished with no disability or medicare or social security! What greater job than raising the children you gave birth to and making a good home. If someone who stays home to raise kids is affected by a terminal illness like ALS should not be doubly punished...

It is my understanding that if you do not qualify for SSDI or SSI, then you do not qualify for medicare or medicaid. There was a PALS some years ago who was in this exact situation and there was a bill named for her that they tried to pass to fix this. But as far as I know, it was never passed. It is a horrible situation indeed. I am so sorry :(

Check with Toto, I believe she's in the same predicament. Obviously, no value is place on those who stay home to take care of children. I qualify, but am definitely getting a lot less due to working mostly part time since I had kids. What about the 20 years I worked full time before that?

Unfortunately, glupavomomiche, I think you are right. For SSI, the low income requirement and resources, so it is hard for some to qualify. The total of ALL resources (bank accounts, land, vehicles, and anything else that could be converted to cash) cannot exceed $2000 for an individual/child or $3000 for a couple. VERY hard to qualify for. If you cannot qualify for SSI and Medicare, you might qualify for a Medicare spend down program.

i hate to say it the only way she will get it is you get a legal seperation or divorce and you are not responsiable for her any longer , nd you can still be her health care proxy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back