Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
CA
State
On
City
Perth, Ontario
I am so relieved, you guys have no idea.

We got a call wednesday afternoon that Dad needed to be at the hospital for the feeding tube operation at 8:00 that night. So mom and I frantically start packing up everything he needs. Bipap, medications, walker, wheelchair and all of that.

I had to work at 4 pm and mom wanted me at home so she wouldn't worry about the house or the pets and so that I could keep tabs on my grandmother. Which is fine because there are things that my mom does for my dad that he will not allow me to do for him like help him get dresses and bathroom help. (I have no problem with this)

So Mom calls after 8 and they are still waiting for a bed, finally around 11 pm they get dad settled in a room.

They were suposed to do the operation on Thursday but because it is "elective" he got bumped for somthing more urgent. Mom ended up sleeping in a chair in the lounge, I wasn't happy about that. Dad was just so nervous about being in the hospital he didn't want her out of hearing range of him. Since his last operation left him in a coma for 3 months and a very long and laborous recooperation. I can understand his nerves and respect his need to have somone there I just wish that person could have been me, but mom wouldn't have it any other way.

Dad's surgery finally took place on friday morning it was a quick procedure and they froze the area and put the tube in within an hour all said and done.

Once it was over dad relaxed compleetly, he had been so pent up over the procedure that I was worried he was going to have a panic attack.

Today they are giving him his first tube feeding using a pump over an extended period (about 6 hours) and once the doctor checks him out Mom and Dad will be headed home.

I have my fingers crossed that I will have my Daddy home for fathers day. I am making him his favorite carrott cake, he might not eat much of it but I know he will love it regardless.

Happy Fathers day everyone weather in person or in spirit we love you.

I'm so glad things went well, Chase. You all must be so relieved. I hope you all have a good Father's Day.

So happy to hear that things went well!

So glad he is doing well. The first bit of food by. Mouth may give him severe stomach pains. If this happens, just open his tube and let the gas and stomach contents flow out from the tube. We use a empty 2 and 1/2 gal ice cream tub for this.

Good luck on Fathers Day! Glad the procedure went well!

Jen

I have a question I hope someone can answer. My husband Mark has ALS now for 8 years. He uses Bipap all night and sometimes during the day. Last clinic his PFT's went down. In one month they went from 34 to 25. His 02 levels are good. My question is how long before his 02 levels become effected? His left diaphram is no longer working and his left lung ic collapsed. His right lung is good. Last Dec he had a bad case of pneumonia and we almost ost him. He is not going to vent. Can anyone give some kind of info as what to expect?

Thanks Patti

Patti A - start a new thread and you will get your answers..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back