Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
AL
City
Fairhope
Hi all, I have a question that I will bring up on the next doctor visit but thought I would maybe get some insight on here. Dean is on the following - Aricept 10mg, Primidone 50 mg, Zoloft 100 mg, Amitriptyline 10 mg & Rilutex 50 mg. He seems to be sleeping to much meaning most of the day, off and on. I'll wake him up to ask a question and he'll answer and back out he goes. I'm wondering since he's lost so much weight, he's now at 145 and used to be 170/180 range when the meds were prescribed, if he is actually being overdosed and that is making him so sleepy all the time? Any one have any experience with this that you would care to share? His next appointment with internest isn't for a couple of weeks. Hugs, Janice

That does sound reasonable. call you pharmacist--they are experts on drug interaction and dosage more than doctors.

also, could be CO2 buildup?

moderated. call a pharmacist they are experts in drugs

moderated. call a pharmacist

Michael does all the time now too. CO2 build up and just plain tired. It is hard work when the muscles are working the way they should.

Depends on when these drugs are given. The amitriptyline can really zap anybody! (Try taking one and you will be a noodle.) A couple of the other drugs he's taking can cause fatigue.

Not a regimen most would recommend. See drugs.com interaction checker for more info. But do not d/c the TCA abruptly, even though it is likely increasing the concentration of the SSRI. I would see a neuro who knows something about pharmacology, as whoever rx'd all these does not. Dean needs a new plan.

amitryptiline can be quite sedating.

I've done some online research and can see where there are contraindications between some of these drugs. We have a appointment with the internal medicine doc this coming week. Will certainly be a discussion about what is needed and what is not! Meanwhile it's kind of a blessing in disguise because when he is sleeping or napping he's not coughing! Started him on some Mucinex (liquid) yesterday and that seems to be helping already with the mucus buildup, thus the coughing is some what better. Vicious cycle, huh? Hope everyone has a calm, uneventful weekend. It's raining, raining, and raining here. We've had over 3 inches with more on the way. Good day to rest!

Janice,
Glad you have an appointment... Hope you get some answers! The coughing is the worst, scares me senseless...
When is the weather going to clear? You're right, it never ends!
Hope your weekend has some calm and peace as well!

Jen

Saw the internest today. Thank goodness they could work us in. He looked at the prescription list and reduced the amitriptyline to one a day in the PM. We'll see how that does. He said if that does not work, he'll take him off it. He has also ordered Home Health Care for Respiatory Therapy. I'm hoping that will give him some relief. We'll go from here and see what happens. Hugs, Janice

Yes! I'm glad someone is coming in to help. Rog couldn't take the meds, I think he's going to try Bo tox. Keep us posted!

Jen

Hope that you see some improvement with the medication change.
Yay! (for in Home RT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back