Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
FL
City
orlando
My husband has had several choking episodes lately. It is not exactly choking--as in he is not choking on actual food. he does eat pureed food by mouth, but the coughing and choking is not food stuck in his throat. seems to be caused by certain food or spices. lots of saliva, coughing and really hard on him.

Looking for your thoughts on this...

Several things now make me "choke" cough, cause a spasm that seems like choking, call it what you like. One is lemon juice and the other is vit. C or ascorbic acid, which I mix in apple sauce as I can't swallow a pill any longer. I don't understand it as I never had this until recently but I do have to be extra careful when I eat either of those. I have never choked on puréed food, yet. Hope that helps.

Barbie,
Rog chokes a lot as his tongue and soft palate can't push anything back, his epiglottis doesn't always cover his trachea so he aspirates. Does your husband have a suction machine? Everything is going in by tube now including meds..

Jen

My husband's been having a lot of issues with liquids lately. He's still managing to eat ok but I've noticed most of his choking comes after taking a drink. So not sure how to avoid these things, but it's scary.

My husband is having a terrible time with choking, he uses his cough assist machine and suction machine a lot. He is scheduled to have a feeding tube put in shortly. He doesn't eat as much as he was and has lost weight.

He won't eat any sweets anymore because it seems to make it worse, I had his meds come in liquid form but he said they burn his throat so I changed it back to pills. All his food is chopped up, maybe I'll have to puree it. I just got up this morn and he had'nt drank his smoothie last nite probably 600 calories gone! He's getting so week and mad because of the frustration of it all. He uses alot of energy using that cough assist machine.

We have clinic June 18, we'll see what happens.

Saliva, phlegm, inability to swallow saliva? Gag reflex? From what I know choking usually starts with liquids rather than with soft food. We get throat spasm, especially if trying to swallow liquids first thing in the morning, after being on the vent for 12 hrs.

Dani

Dean is taking everything by tube now except he still sips on his tea - refuses to give it up and I'll not be the one to stop him. Sometimes he chokes on it, sometimes not. He will not use thickener! He has a lot of sinus drainage (always had) so between that and the siliva he chokes a lot. Sometimes to the point he scares me as it seems he can't catch his breath. We have a Cough Assist being delivered today. He has a suction machine already. I think everyone is a bit different except all choke! I foolishly thought it would go away when he got the Peg tube - not! Unfortunately it's part of this horrible disease!

Bob used a lung volume recruitment device before he ate. It really helped for a while, until he decided he could no longer eat or drink through his mouth. It was what he used to assist to "clear" him before he ate. Not sure if this is what people refer to as a cough assist machine on here. He had laryngospasms once in a while and twice he had them while he was eating - we actually had to perform the Heimlich.

My hubby is not aspirating food on a regular basis. the "choking" seems to come from certain foods like dairy products, very cold foods or tangy/spicy foods. liquids only if it is milk product. He has declined a peg tube and does not believe that he needs one. he does not have a lot of extra saliva except when the choking starts and then watch out! I think it would be good to get a suction machine but he will probably say not to use it. when he does choke, I try to give him atropine drops and he won't let me. Who would script the suction--Neuro or pulmo? or would we get it through hospice?

I would call hospice first. That would make it easier on you if they could bring it out on a visit and then show you how to use it.

My husband has a lot of aspiration with liquids..he also cannot tolerate spicy foods.they actually bring on an attack..we are very careful.when he drinks he sits in a special chair and just concentrates on that..he has refused the peg.

I do not consider that I've given my husband a meal unless I'm wearing it in my hair afterwards. The choking is violent and scary, and breaks my heart. I'm with you.

Neuro should be able to order for you over the phone... Have him bend his head towards his chest when eating or drinking, that forces his epiglottis to cover his trachea to cut down on the aspirating. I agree about the choking breaking your heart... It is so sad.. Rog also stopped eating spicy foods as it burned...
Bella, I was so glad when Rog asked me to schedule his tube placement...the choking and spitting and aspirating were so scary! I hope your hubby's goes well!

Jen

Those of you whose PALS are primarily having issues with liquids, are you thickening them? ThickIt is available at Walgreens and CVS. Some folks prefer potato starch. Either way, you PALS will have more time to be able to handle the liquid rather than it rushing back and cause a choking incident.

Have experienced this quite frequently. Usually it is when I fee my pals too fast. Other times it is something as simple a pepper. She gags and starts to choke and usually request water. It is a balancing act for sure. Do not feed solid or liquids too fast. and make sure there is an interval between bites. I eat fast, and I have really had to go in slow motion with her. She told me that she enjoys the meals so much more when I slow them down to a snails pace. It is hard to do, but well worth it for her satisfaction and pleasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back