Diagnosis
11/2011
Country
US
State
GA
City
Hoschton
I am trying to get information on sit to stand lifts and if they are useful for ALS patients. My husband has ALS and I tried a hoyer lift, that was a disaster so I am now checking out a sit to stand lift. They are very expensive and I don't know if it's a good investment.

I would try to work out the kinks with the hoyer lift. Sit to stand lifts will always require the use of at least one leg.

i agree. once your husbands legs are "gone" the sit to stand will be worthless to you guys.

Find out if your insurance will cover a few home visits from PT to help you work out the kinks with the Hoyer lift. It does seem daunting at first but does get easier with practice

Yikes, I'm getting a hoyer lift tomorrow from another PALS' family... thought I should get it and practice before I absolutely had to use it.

I actually had a great idea about making it safer to walk with bad legs... at least to keep walking for as long as possible: I looked into installing a zip line (you know the kind you put on a harness and zip down a huge hill with) into my house from say, my kitchen to bathroom to bedroom, and use a vest attached to the line to prevent me from falling, but still using my legs more than I can with just the walker (which ended up hurting my arms/shoulders too much) That way, I could stay a little mobile, it would cost about $600 or so, and I would stay a bit more independent for a while. I emailed a company that said it would work inside the house as long as you had high ceilings... and that they had installed one over a built-in pool so a handicapped woman could use her pool (not ALS). My ceilings are high enough, but with my house on the market, I didn't install it, but really wanted to try it!

My legs have been gone over a year and my arms are almost gone, but I still have some trunk muscles. We've been using a sit to stand for a year and it's been very easy. Sling under my butt put my arms on top, lean in, and lift me up just enough to clear the bed, PWC, toilet, or shower chair. It has been great and very easy for my tiny wife to use. BUT, we got it from the alsa loan closet, and we know we will need a hoyer eventually. If you have to pick one, you need the hoyer.

@tomby, please be careful. Sit to stand lifts are designed to use a sling to support the upper body of someone who can offer support of at least 60% of their body weight with their leg(s). A hoyer lift is designed to support with a full body sling. My experience is over a decade old, so someone correct me if I am wrong. One should be careful to use a sling designed to be used with the lift in use.

My personal experience would also say depending on the sling style, the sit to stand may not work if the shoulders weaken too much also. I use a sit to stand now but will have to stop soon because puts to much stress on my shoulders when pulling me up until my legs take over bearing the weight. If you only get to buy one, choose the hoyer.

Thanks for all the input. It seems I should try the hoyer, I need to do something soon, this morninwas a disaster trying to get my husband out of bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back