Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Flower Mound
When can a PALS get medicare to pay for Home Hospice Care? Mom has more than 6 months to live, diagnosed Jan 2011, .can we get it earlier than that?

Any info is apprecaited!

thankyou!

Pandabear

Many do get it earlier. Most recommend that you get all needed equipment prior to signing onto Hospice.

Hi Pandabear, I just became a hospice volunteer and I know that if your doctor signs a script saying that
it is likely that there are 6months left (sorry, I know that sounds painful) that they get
Medicare or Medicaid to pay for hospice service which includes a nurse, aid, volunteer and in my area also
a music therapist if wanted to come to your home. I see that your mom has more than 6 months, thankfully,
but I would ask your doctor so that you may take advantage of all of the wonderful services.
Sorry you have to go through this!

Talk to her doctor about needing hospice. There shouldn't be a problem. Hospice nowadays is not just reserved to the "6 months to live." If you have a terminal illness and choose no treatment to prolong life (such as a trach), then you can qualify. No one knows when a pALS will pass away. There are too many issues going on at once to predict a timeline.

As suggested, do get the necessary equipment in place that hospice is not likely to provide, such as the PWC or speech device.

Good luck!

Again thank you for info...spent hours on the phone last night with Brother, Sis in law and aunt..they are getting to ALS clinic to get resources..then to infiltrate the step dad and get mom so hope and get her moving on a speach device...she is depressed and getting weaker and weaker..

The "6 month rule" for hospice is, shall we say, fluid. Usually an intake nurse will come to the home and speak with the patient and family... regarding medications, what kind of help is needed, etc. Then depending on your state laws and the hospice a care plan should be developed that includes home health care, help with grooming and hygiene, medication, etc. This will be reviewed after 3 or 6 months and updated as needed. People have actually been known to be on hospice care for 2 or more years. It just depends.

Depends on the state and the agency. We have been on hospice almost a full year. They have been a godsend to us. As long as there is progression, then you should be able to get their services. If some other health issue arises unrelated to the ALS, then you can still seek medical treatment; at least that has been our experience.

I actually spoke to our hospice counselor yesterday about the 6 month rule. She told me that they make an assessment - given the diagnosis and sometimes they are able to "graduate" people from Hospice. (IF ITS LONGER THAN 6 months with no further decline). WOO HOO! Insert Happy camper dance here. So I wouldn't hesitate to call them. They are wonderful people that help in many many ways! Go in and talk to them - what's the worst that can happen? You gain knowledge and maybe a friend or two. :)

Thank u all for the info.

Get it as soon as possible. Call and have someone come evaluate the need. Be the squeaky wheel, don't wait , be assertive and do it when YOU need to.

Pandabear,
After my wife came home from her second hospitalization, the hospital physicians were the ones to put her in a hospice program. They contacted hospice and she went straight to hospice from the hospital. She was at the facility for 10 weeks and it did wonders for her.
They got her vitals under control and then told me that they could not keep her in the facility because she was not sick enough. She is a quad, but mentally ok. It was the best thing for her. I am her primary caregiver, and hospice sends a nurse each week to check her. They also send someone to make sure she is bathed and changed. I do most of the changing, but their help has been tremendous. I am in my sixties and with two bad knees and two bad shoulders, this illness is taken a lot out of me even with some help. We have been most pleased with the volunteers. They come each week for an hr. or two and allow me to get the things we need. Know also, that you can go in an out of hospice depending on your physical state.

During our recent ER visit while PALS tube came out , the doctor did tell us that hospice services should be available to us even though he has more than 6 months to live. Definitely something to look into. Hope you're able to get some assistance from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back