Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
Al
City
Valley
Bruce fell last night going to the bathroom, since we don't sleep together, I woke up to him banging the wall. Scared me so bad, weird thing was when I got to him, I got lightheade, and after getting him up and back in the bed, i threw up. I was not sick before. I honestly think my blood pressure went up or something.

Oh no! That must've been scary! Rog is starting to have panic attacks about falling... We have a friend coming today to help us set up some kind of alarm system for that very reason using our house alarm... I also bought a baby monitor... I hope Bruce didn't hurt himself and you're feeling better!

Jen

Joni and Jen,

I do pray that you are feeling bet ter. And that Bruce is doing well also. And Jen and Rog the two of you stay safe also. I remember reading somewhere a percentage of PALS that die an early death due to a fall. I think the baby monitor is the perfect piece of equipment that you could purchase. I do hope the afternoon isn't too taxing for you.

GOD Bless you CALS,

I live with this fear every night. I started sleeping in another room about a month ago because Dean has been making loud noises at night. I still find I'm getting up at least once a night to check on him after I hear him. In January he fell three times (due to something else, not ALS) and it scared me sick every time. Maybe it was the anxiety of finding him on the floor that made you sick. Hope your better now.

Oh, Joni! I'm so sorry. Falling is so frightening!
We made good use of a baby monitor with my Mom. I could hear her from one end of the house to the other and it came with a battery operated piece that I could carry with me.

Joni- it most likely was your vegal (sp?) nerve- which can be triggered by emotions. It can cause folks to faint and get sick. Many ppl in my family have issues with it. Its no fun. And im sorry. I would bet that all of this stuff with Bruce is bringing up memories of your first husbands illness. I sure hope you are on something my dear friend. I wouldnt be suprised if you have a touch of PTSD.
I love u.

Joni, I also think it was a reaction to the stress of the situation... is Bruce ok? He needs to let you know when he's going to get up, especially at night... if you were sleeping soundly he may have ended up on the floor for a while. Take care of yourself too, are you taking anything for anxiety or anything? You're a hero already, don't be a martyr.
Love you,
Helen

Joni, so sorry about the fall and your scare last night. Emotions can manifest physically. I think the baby monitor sound like a good idea. And don't let him get up by himself anymore. Love Ya, {Hug}

Joni Pie, are you okay? Is Bruce okay? How frightening! Ditto what Toto said. God Bless the CALS. I love you!

Dad had his first fall at the hospital last week. After that, they put an alarm on his bed so they would know if he got out. Thinking I may need to look into something like that at home - for both his bed and recliner. So glad everything turned out OK for you - that would be so scary!

Sorry this happened Joni and you've has such a fright. It sounds like a baby monitor is a quick fix but others have found more sophisticated systems (to alert when someone has moved from a specific location) that might make for less interrupted sleep for you and yet still give you assurance that you are awake when needed. That sounds like a good idea if affordable. I hope Bruce is okay and you too. It's quite possible you just physically reacted to the whole experience once it was over and the throwing up will just be a one off. I hope so.

Love you Joni.

Dang Joni! Sounds like he scared you silly.

I know my husband fell a few times before he got his chair--split his head open and lucky it did not cause real damage.

Awful...for both of you.

Sorry about the fall and your episode. I hope Bruce didn't get hurt. You must be exhausted, Joni. Take care. Yasmin.

I had both a baby monitor and a bed alarm for Glen. The bed alarm can also be used as a chair alarm. Nice for those times when you don't have help there and you just have to pee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back