Hate to start a new thread in this, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

st123

Distinguished member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Mid
it looks like the last one is closed. Constipation has been an issue since we started this thing. Now i've added the term, 'urinary retention', to my vocabulary. Actually in the hospital having all sorts of bad things ruled out for him. Looks like we're going to come back to just plain old slow bowels as the main issue. We do everything suggested (though he doesn't always cooperate): daily Miralax, prune juice, lots of water, yet here we are with a foley cath and impaction issues. *heavy sigh*

I'm sorry Shar. Just do the best you can. You're a wonderful caretaker and I admire you for what you do for your Dad. Xoxoxo

Oh Sharlene, I am sorry! I hope this gets managed for you! I know your dad is more than uncomfortable!

Jen

Sorry he's having these issues and you have had to start this thread but thanks for doing so, I've been wondering how he was doing. I was just reading elsewhere about this (no personal experience to offer) and it seems like a common problem that with bit of experience and persistence some have overcome or greatly improved. I reckon that will be the case with you and your dad as you are one of the most diligent, inventive, proactive, persistent, caring and loving daughters out there! Hang in there, and just because I know you love a laugh when nothing else seems to be working, you dear thing......this too will pass.

Is he on any narcotics? sometimes they are the cause. Maybe senna would work

Been there. Miralax works too well on me. But only after I have had to have a rotor rooter service first. I even ate a box of prunes a day and still nothing. I believe half my problem was that I would drink so much water (which you're supposed to) that I would pee so much none of it went to soften the stool (not very medical like terminology, sorry). Once he is flushed, try giving him stool softeners also. I have always had slow bowels but now its like once every 10 days or so. You may have to figure out his own cocktail. Good luck I know he's miserable.

Thanks, all! They're keeping him one more day, but will send him home tomorrow for sure. Hopefully, cath-free, but maybe not. Now that he's starting clean, hopefully we can keep him on a good regimen, which will now include double Miralax and a stool softener of some sort. Joked with mom that we're going to spend some mother/daughter bonding time browsing the laxative aisle :)

Can not even being to count how many times I've said the words, 'urinary', 'bowel movement', and 'prostate' today.

Sally, you're killing me - and yes it did! :)

After my MIL's surgery a few years ago, she was having a similar issue for days... I brought over a magnet pad and she sat on it. I brought over to make her feel more comfortable, not realizing the bm/pee issue. Within 10 minutes she got up and went to the bathroom. When she came out, she told me that it was the first time in days! So if your Dad doesnt use a pacemaker, buy either a mattress pad or backpad to see if it will help.

Sharlene, is Dad using any liquid "thickener"? Sorry I can't remember what you've said about that......

Okay . . . never heard of a magnet pad. Where would you find one (when needed)? :) Medical supply store or Wal - Mart?

Dad does take a pain med regularly. I'll have to look up the name, but it's a vicodin-type.
I'll have to look up the magnet thing; I don't know anything about them.
He's not currently using a thickener. He's trying to control the aspiration with careful swallowing - his choice. We'll address that again at the next clinic visit in May.

Cath is out and he's emptying the bladder fully. One more time and we're headed home cath-free. Drink, drink, drink :)

I find one of the thickeners very...binding....I couldn't' use it in quantity, would have to go look up the name of the one that gives me issues as I can't recall. I know that is not his problem now just be careful when and if. Hope he busts out soon.

Thanks, Sally. I'll keep that in mind when we have to go back to it. Home! :)

For the constipation, have you tried the Magic Bullet Suppositories? I read about them somewhere (maybe here) and they work like a charm on Tom. As far as the urinary retention, we have found that if I do his ROM exercises on his legs, it tends to loosen the bladder spasm, or whatever it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back