Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
Al
City
Valley
Anyone have any suggestions for the constant drooling. Bruce has gotten where he stays under the BiPap constantly on account of the saliva. We have tried the patches, now we are on a prescription plus the eye drops they use for it. So far zilch..

They put Bob on amitriptyline to help reduce the production of saliva. It helped to dry secretions. It also helped him sleep a bit better at night. Good luck Joni.

And the amytriptiline is a cheap drug. Brand name is Elavil.

my pals is on that. he also uses the pathches. we suction his mouth many times a day as well. we have to use washclothes rolled up and stuck under his chin. we also put paper towel on his shirts.

He is on that, his says to take before bedtime..wonder if i could change it to morning or if it would make him to drowsy?

Bob took one in the afternoon and 3 at night. He did usually have a nap in the afternoon so it helped him keep the saliva under control while napping. We timed it that way and it worked well for us.

Joni- he may be a drowsy, but he may also get used to it. I think when its used for the saliva, and not to help with the sleeping, its given ata a lower dose. Not sure tho...

Today, just noticed I have trouble with build of saliva. Does it go away? I feel like I am constantly swallowing.

My husband was on amytriptaline and his constipation was severe so we switched to atropine drops which aren't working much better. We are hoping the PEG tube just installed will lessen the saliva as he will be getting more fluids in him. If that doesn't work he wants Botox injected into his salivary glands. He wears bibs (we made some "manly" bibs) and goes through lots of handkerchiefs every day.....

my dad keeps towles nearby, but that isn't really a solution. I wish you the best to find somthing, I have hear about botox treatments but that isn't for everyone.

We do the hand towels and handkerchiefs.

Hand towels and the coolest handkerchiefs here, too.

We bought the cheap white wash cloths at Wal Mart, I believe it was 18 for $5. Bought a couple of packs and also bought a flip top small trash can to put the dirty ones in. When it gets full, soak with lots of clorox then wash and go again. A good size for when we go somewhere, small enough to put a couple extra's in his pocket and in the carrier on his walker.

We do that with wash cloths too! We also have bibs in the cars to help and bibs at meal times (not many meals times now that the tube is in place)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back