Reason
Friend was DX
Country
US
State
NY
City
Baldwin
Trying to assist my best pal whose husband was just diagnosed with ALS ....she's trying to figure if an elevator will make sense....I'm wondering if moving a bedroom downstairs is a better idea . he is completely mobile now so any advice is appreciated . Thank you

In my opinion, moving his bedroom down stairs makes more sense and less expense.

I share Ms. Pie's opinion.

From a caregiver perspective, I think first floor is a much better idea.

As long as there's a full bathroom downstairs, I wouldn't go with an elevator. And, it's probably cheaper to put in a bathroom or modify it than to put in an elevator (BTW, if the elevator is only for one floor, it doesn't have the same state regulations than if it goes more than one floor).

If there is a space and a full bathroom downstairs (make sure it is completely accessible for a wheelchair and/or hoyer lift), I would not bother with the elevator. It would have to be rather large to accomadate a full size power wheelchair.

Downstairs is better. Don't have to worry about power going out and getting stuck in the elevator. Like many said before me...full bathroom is needed downstairs as well.

I also think downstairs is the best solution. There would have to have to be a wheelchair accessible bath & shower, ect either way, so they should save on not having the expence of putting in an elevator also.

If it is less than a flight of stairs, ( have 3 steps between the ground floor family room and the rest of the house) you can use an indoor/outdoor lift. This also will work outside if you don't have the room to have a switch back ramp. FYI to ramp to a 30" porch would take about a 30 foot ramp. We have a Mac PL50 for 50" lift, they also make a 72" model. I lost a closet to have it installed btween the family room and office it is about 4 ft square with a platform and tower on one side. Before we installed this he took his chair to the garage, out to the ramped deck, in the glass slider that had a small ramp just to go to bed. Soooo couldn't go to bed when it was raining, had the new lift before the snow flew. They cost between 3 and 5 thousand, it allowed us to stay in our house with out making major changes. Penny

One consideration with the elevator... what about emergencies? If there were a fire and he were not mobile it would be a problem. Easiest in and out is a bedroom downstairs. Also, elevators are mechanical and they do breakdown, additional problem, hassle and expense. We live in a rancher so it wasnt an option. But the changes we made to make life easier were a little more like tweeks. Got rid of some furniture moved our spaces around to fit the wheelchair mobility, totally redid a bathroom (expensive) and some of the doors we had widened. I will also mention that if at the moment we had an elevator, my husband would not be able to operate it on his own.

My son is 34 and has als. he is practically bed ridden. he can't sleep at night because of cramps and discomfort. what suggestions does anyone have that might help him?

we also live in a ranch, our garage and family room are on the ground the whole rest of the house is three steps up. We left the small ramp outside the slider door to the deck as a fire escape from the main floor. I shoveled the deck after every snow storm. our lift has a manual handle if needed. With all of the equipment that used elec, we felt a generator was a must have, should the elec go out. I am sorry to say that at some point most als patients won't be able operate the lift or wheelchair themselves. The changes we made to allow his easy access to the family room that had an elec couch allowed him to feel engaged with the world and not locked away in the bedroom until the very end. He died on that couch with a clear view of our 5 acres of woods with the sun rising as a new day dawned. Penny

kkay, we pulled out the picture window in our bedroom and put in an extra wide door just for emergencies. Penny, we too got a generator and a portable air conditioner (Southerners!). We used both several times!

If your house can accommodate the downstairs option, that would probably be the easier and cheaper route. However, that wasn't a good option for us, so we did put in an elevator. Feel free to ask me any questions if you want more information on that approach.

Brian

This house has both a family room and a living room, so we were able to convert the living room to a bedroom. Another advantage was when he started going to bed early while son and I were still up watching TV, we were close enough to hear if he needed anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back