Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Mid
Sharlene, Get your Dad registered with the MDA/ALS Division.Contact the branch in your state and they will send you a couple of very useful spiral bound books. MDA will send you a form for your Dad's Doc to sign. als. mda. org
Everyday Life with ALS: A Practical Guide and A Caregiver's Guide. They cover resources, tips and techniques, the role of the various disciplines, equipment and how to use it, range of motion exercises, etc.
We have our Hoyer standing by, I don't need it yet for transfers but should I wind up in the floor again, my Cals will be able to get me up by herself. Our local PT even came to the house to do a demonstration so KK will be comfortable with it when the time comes. OT came to demonstrate the transferboard and they both made suggestions and gave tips for our particular needs here at home.

Mayo has some useful slides and videos too.

If your have a Hoyer Lift, my husband had a hard time using it because of the carpet. The doctor at the ALS clinic said people was figureing out different ways of getting an electric hoist so we did but you have to own your home and have a regular ceiling.
First my husband bought a track(8ft) for sliding doors ($57) painted it the same color as our ceilings then he put holes every 16 inches apart because that is how far apart our joists is. He screws using washers and bolted it to the ceiling then he bought rollers(2in pkg $50+). Then We ordered a 500 pound coffing rope hoist($623) off of the internet . I ordered a sling off of the internet ($105) I ordered the one that wraps around your legs leaving your bottom exposed we took the bar from my moms hoyer lift we now have three one for bathroom, living room and bedroom. My and caregivers and nures love it they have told other patients.

I learned how to use almost every piece of equipment through youtube. There are some amazing people out there, willing to sit in front of a camera and help.

Thanks, as always, for all of the information. Love you guys! :)

Thanks for posting this Sharlene!

I didnt know what a hoyer lift was either. Thank you

Thank you, so much, for posting this! *Like!* The unknown is always worse than the known, and it's always freaked me out a little to wonder how my 5'4" person was going to be able to move my 6', 180 lb PALS. This has totally put my mind at ease, and I think you! On to my next hurdle!

The only thing I have bought is a shower chair sure wish I hadn't bought that you see now that I can't sit up straight my husband put duct tape over the holes of my potty chair legs and we raise the lid up for my back and it works great. Medicare paid for suction machine, cough machine, bipap, also eighty percent of my Dynavox computer, and pwc. My Blue Cross Blue Sheild paid the rest .

A hoyer lift can be an intimidating piece of equipment. It in reality is a very useful and easy to use device. It is basically a hammock on a rolling framework that is lowered or raised by pneumatic pressure or an electric motor. The patient lays on there back, as the sling is placed under them. This is done by rolling the pals on their side and shoving as much of one side of the sling under them. You then roll the patient back and pull the bunched part out of the side until you have it fairly even on both sides. Some of the slings even have a hole for your rear to poke through so that you could swing the patient over a commode. The sling has many loops,usually color coded, to place the hoyer hooks in. Each loop will change the angle of the pals body from an almost sitting to an almost lying position. Some people are scared that the lift will topple. Very unlikely since it has such long feet. You then roll the patient to wherever you want them: lounge chair, wheelchair, chair, etc. Then you lower the pals down when the sling is slowly released. The sling is usually a net type material and is not hot, therefore it can remain behind the patient and will be ready for the hookup that takes them back to bed or to another location. The base of the hoyer looks like a big U. The arms of the U balance the weight load and move ouward or inward to straddle the chair or other destination. Rolling over carpet makes it much harder than on wooden floor.

I got a hoyer lift from my ALS association loan closet. Although it is a manual one, it is assisting me greatly. For those who may not be able to purchase one, check with your als office in your area to see if they have a loan closet. They also have other equipment like beds, chairs etc. Dont be afraid to ask.

Caldona, can you have your husband put together the equipment list and directions for your lift? My not-so-handy hubby will not be able to figure it out, but I would like to do it when we sell this house and move to a smaller one.

I was so worried that I wouldn't be able to master using the hoyer lift but the Sunday after Thanksgiving was the last time my husband tried to transfer using the board. Took my brother to help me get him back in bed.

Since November, the CNAs or I have moved him every time he gets out of bed using the lift. Even with carpeting, we make it work but we bring the power chair right up to the lift by the bed so it will not have to roll on the carpet. We use a u sling so that he doesn't have to keep the sling underneath him in the chair.

Helen my husband bought a track for double doors at a farm store.
Anyway you wanted the list;
8' track he put a hole in it for each joists it would cross He used a three inch leg bolt and washer to screw it into the joist
Rollers that roll on the track (Box rail hangers)
500 lb. Coffing rope hoist ordered off internet
Sling it wraps around under my legs, ordered off of the Internet
The bar we use came off of a Hoyer lift
I- bolt to connect bar to hoist

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back