Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Mid
With everything else that's going on, this may sound silly, but I have an electrical issue. Mom and Dad moved in with me last August when their house burned down. Dad was already sick, but we didn't know what the problem really was. I gave them my bedroom/bathroom and moved down the hall with the kids. It was supposed to be temporary - until we worked out the insurance stuff and they either rebuilt or bought a new house. Since then Dad got worse and now we have the ALS diagnosis so they're not going anywhere.

So now they're really making the place theirs with a mini fridge, microwave, two TVs (one for Dad to watch while laying on his side - the only way he can breathe) and one for Mom, plus the usual stuff - lights, phone and tablet chargers, etc. Now we've added bi-pap, oxygen machine, electric radiator, electric blanket (because he's always cold), and electric hospital bed and they're looking at buying an electric lift armchair.

Would anyone be surprised if I tell you that we're now tripping the circuit regularly? I have an electrician coming out tomorrow to give me a quote on running new circuits in there.

Now my question... (yes, finally) What else should I tell the electrician we should plan for so he can figure out what I need done?

cough assist machine, suction and possibly an electric hoyer lift. A Power wheelchair will also need an outlet to recharge.

Thank you, Deb!

Just have your electric updated to circuit breakers and possibly add some erxtra GFC outlets (especially in their room). Your problem is probably more wiring and age than anything. To replace it can get expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back