Article about relationships/caregiving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Brooksea! I saved it to my favorites. It's important for the PALS to be lovingly engaged in the marriage/relationship, if they are able, as well. xoxo

You know, the article lists all the things that are missing.
I have embraced the FTD as the reason they are gone, but that doesn't change the fact that they are still and always will be -- missing.

Well, not really missing, just one sided.
Tom has never been able to express love, and kindness is questionable.
My unfortunate mistake was to believe that I could love him into loving.
Now, faced with the challenges of ALS, it is even harder to hold up this one legged relationship.
I am just tired and am not pleased with the distancing I have done to keep the little me inside safe from harm.

It is a good opinion piece, I am just jaded. Or green with envy. Or maybe just green around the gills.

I think what struck me the most about the article was this:

"The divorce rate in couples with a disability in the family hovers around 90% and relationships with a disability or chronic medical condition face significant pressures on the love holding the marriage together."

Tom's Support, just know that those of us who have walked in your shoes are holding your hand through this. It's a solitary walk, no doubt, but we are with you.

CJ... combine that statistic with the article that said that the burnout rate in caregivers of dementia patients is double what it is with other conditions and is it any wonder that we find ourselves sitting in a corner rocking and muttering to ourselves!?!?

Tom's Support... I sooooo hear you about the jaded and envious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back