Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
AL
City
Fairhope
My dh has been coughing/choking almost constantly for two days. He says it's sinus drainage causing it. He started Mucinex, hopefully, will get some relief. Is there anything else I can do to help him? He uses the nebulizer once a day but we were told he could use it more often if needed. Will it help with this problem. Should I call the doctor on Monday? If so, which one? He has a neurologist, a pulmonologist and a internal medicine doctor. It's so bad that I've had to move to another bedroom just to get some sleep. Help please.

if it is that bad, i would suggest not waiting until Monday and visit the ER now.

Using Mucinex and the nebulizer helps to thin the mucous which is a good thing. Do you have a Cough Assist machine, and suction device? It sounds like suctioning would be beneficial if he doesn't have the ability to get it out on his own.

Laura

Im a firm believer in loosening and getting rid of the mucis, however at night maybe he should take something to DRY it up so everyone can sleep. He will be stronger to work it up after a few good hours of sleep. Maybe Nyquil? Not sure what works best.

My mom had this same problem last week. She has always had a lot of problems with her sinuses, and now that her ALS has progressed to the point that she can not cough or spit, she just started choking/gaggin on her drainage. I was able to get a cough assist machine and a suction machine from Hospice (although you may have to stay on them about the cough assist machine...my mom's case manager didn't even know what it was. I had to look it up on google and give her pictures and describe it to her and her supplier.) even if it takes a little while to get the cough assist machine, the suction machine has really helped my mom to be more comfortable. Maybe this would help your dh also. Also, if he is signed up for hospice, you can have a nurse come out to your home...it might help ease your mind.

My mom had this problem last week and spent two whole days gagging and coughing until it got to the point where she cold hardly breathe and was so exhausted. Thankfully, on the second day, I was able to get a suction machine and a cough assist machine through hospice and they really helped her a lot.
The suction machine comes with two different ends. One is like the end that you see on the suction machine at the dentist and the other is a very thin, flexible clear tubing. If you take the clear tubing end and gently push it back along the side of the mouth, you can get farther into the throat without scratching or causing gagging. The other attatchment has greater suction though and has really helped my mom, who is no longer able to cough at all, to be able to get the mucus from her throat to her mouth so that it can be suctioned out.
The cough assist machine simulates a cough by putting air into the lungs and then drawing it out quickly, which can help to bring out mucus/secretions that are farther down in the throat but can't be coughed up.
From what you described, I think at least the suction machine could be very helpful for your dh.

Thanks again all. He did two nebulizer treatments and took 2 Mucinex today. Not coughing quite as bad as before. I'll call the doctor Monday to see about the suction machine. We'll see how tonight goes.

Like others have said, mucinex is good, maybe a good cough syrup with DM (tussin), also cough assist machine and suction device. Lots of water to drink. I would also recommend a cool mist humidifier running at all times, as the mucinex may dry him out to where he might have a "cotton" mouth, and this will make it easier for him to breath through the night, especially if he sleeps with his mouth open. Also a vick waterless vaporizer might not be a bad idea as well. I would also call his General Practitioner or MD for this type of thing. Its not anything to deal with his lung, heart, or neurologically, so it would be best answered by his GP who should be a breast about his ALS status and such. HTH and hope he feel better soon.

The extra mucinex and using the nebulizer twice a day seems to have helped some. I've been sick myself (nuro-virus) for the last 4 days. It really makes me wonder if I can do this. I'm not a spring chick (only in my mind I am) and not sure I have the strengh it takes and we're just getting started. We have talked about moving in with my daughter but do I really want to put this burden on her? I apologize for being on such a downer on here - I just can't see anything to look forward to. There are really going to be some hard decision to make in the future, especially if he keeps on refusing the peg tube. I will call the doctor tomorrow. Night all.

No apologies, that's what we're here for.

hmmm... stubborn patient and you have the norovirus? No wonder you're overwhelmed right now... I hope you're able to get some sleep and feel better yourself. Let tomorrow take care of itself for right now.

Take him to the hospital, do not give over the counter medications unless you know that it won't interact badly with his prescription meds.

I know somtimes my dad since he is still able to walk and sit upright will sleep sitting in a chair when he has chest congestion. Laying down made him cough or choke. But I urge you to take him to the ER, I work in a medical clinic and a build up of mucus can choke him compleetly if it can't be cleared in time.

Deanswife, if your daughter wants to help in that way, let her. You will really need the help and I'm sure she loves y'all and would want to help any way she can.

Please do not apologize for having a bad day! We completely understand.

I hope you both can get through this rough patch and you will be able to sort living arrangements out, etc...

Still in the rough patch but it has smoothed a little. Dean is using the Nebulizer 3x a day now. Taking 2 Mucinex a day. Seems to help a lot, especially at night. We are going to my daughters for the weekend. Dang, it remindes me of when I had to pack when we had small kids - so much to remember. I think I'm beginning to dislike road trips. I brought up the Peg tube again and he said "do not ask again". I guess that issue is closed! It makes me sick cause I know that he's cutting time off his life by making this decision. At some point he will not be able to swallow or he's going to asperate and end up with pneumonia. Oh well, one day at a time.

I'm so glad to hear that things have settled down a bit for you guys.
I know what you mean about packing to go somewhere. It reminds me so much of when our three girls were little.
I'm sorry to hear that Dean is still refusing the PEG. I'm not sure what I'll do when the time comes. I hope you're able to make peace with his decision. I can't imagine how difficult it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back