Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
GA
City
Gwinnett
One year ago today, my husband received his ALS diagnosis. His neurologist stated that there was an 80% chance that it was motor neuron disease and the Emory ALS Clinic confirmed it in April. We lived in our paid off house that we fully expected that we would stay in until our deaths but he could no longer climb any steps.

Since that time we have moved to a new ranch home and he is now almost completely bed ridden. He has survived bronchitis, pneumonia twice, pulmonary embolisms twice. He is now is being treated for a urinary tract infection and blood infection. He is quite a fighter. We just celebrated our anniversary on Valentine’s Day.

I have fought the bureaucracy of the Veteran’s Administration and he now has his 100% disability rating for ALS with Aid and Attendance along with VA Palliative Care and Home Health Care.

This has probably been one of his roughest nights of his life between the coughing and choking. We keep going back and forth between the bi-pap to the suction machine. He's sitting up in the hospital bed right now so that he can keep breathing. This is an evil, evil disease.

Fighting ALS is the hardest thing that we've ever witnessed.

clonazepam .5mg 3 x per day

It just dawned on me that my husband was taking this to help with laryngospasms (thankfully I still had the med list on my computer). This may or may not help your husband. It provided limited relief for my husband. I didn't think of it before because I was just thinking of the acid reflux issue your husband has. I can be sooo dense sometimes!

I'm so sorry...

I wish you strength.

Last edited:
The US Navy seal motto is "The only easy day was yesterday", and i realize as a member of the US Army for 24 years why they say that. I have served Navy Seals in my time assigned to US Army Special Forces units over the years. I believe we as PALS and CALS should adopt this motto, because truly the only easy day was yesterday.

I find myself remembering "then" and "now" often. It's so hard to believe that the ALS entered my life less than two years ago. I'm thinking of you. I completely understand your feelings.

Georgia Peach---I too am a spouse's wife & caregiver. J was diagnosed 10/2010. He is currently in the hospital/ICU with pneumonia.(It's been 4 weeks) Today is his birthday. He's 48 ! Just wanted you to know I'm thinking & praying for you & your husband! Yes it's EVIL & VERY VERY CRUEL DISEASE! jp's wife (in Alabama)

hang in there peachy! Thinking of you and your husband. He is a brave man!

Gerogia Peach, my prayers are with you and your husband, for comfort and healing!

jp's wife, I also pray for you and your husband and all those affected by this monster, including myself.

I HATE this disease also. I pray for a cure NOW! All Warriors called to battle!...prayers for ALL for a cure!

GA Peach,
You are a wonderful and caring support for your husband and have been there through all of his health challenges. You have not given up under all the pressure and you have remained strong. That is such a blessing and you are giving him a wonderful gift of love. Stay strong! You and Scott are in my prayers.

10Starr

Hi geogia peach
I am my husbands caregiver and spouse.he is only 47 and was diagonsed in aug.Since then he has really declined.I wish i could say that my house is paid for but its not.We have been focousing on putting our kids through college,then focousing on us(we figured we had the next 20 years.Now faced with this monster of n illness i am faced with disability payments...which wont start for at leat 6 monts after hestops working(physically he cant but his boss is trying to give him his pride,trying to hang on to the house,pay the bills and keeping my kids ok.my son started expering als symptoms and is going into the hospital tommorrow asap..its bad enough to emotionall and physically deal with the illness itself with all this other stuff..I just keep praying and hoping it all work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back