Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Bellevue
I am 25 and the caregiver for my mom, who is 56 and was diagnosed with ALS in September 2009. She is completely unable to move any part of her body from her chest down. She still has very limited movement of her hands, but her index fingers are the only ones that she can really control the movement at all. She has very limited speaking abilities at this point; she can still talk, but it is very tiring for her and she speaks very slowly and runs out of breath. For some time, her appetite has been decreasing. Two months ago, she went from eating one decent size meal a day, to maybe a few bites of one or two different foods. She was having difficulty swallowing, but we managed to find soft foods that worked for her, and still did not have sugar or dairy in them (which both upset her stomach and give her phlegm). Since then her eating has continued to taper off and for the past week, she has eaten nothing but ice (sometimes flavored with a bit of unsweetened fruit juice). She also has mostly stopped drinking. She says that even though food smells good, she just doesn't feel hungry, and last several times that she ate (over a week ago) she only managed to get down five blueberries, and said she still felt totally full as if she had eaten a full meal. Basically, drinking also makes her feel full and she said that even though her mouth is dry, she just doesn't feel like drinking.

I guess I am wondering if anyone else has reached a similar stage with a loved one and can offer any feedback on how quickly they digressed after stopping eating and almost completely stopping drinking (apart from ice). My mom has chosen not to have a feeding tube or any kind of life-prolonging treatment, and asks only that we keep her as comfortable as possible until she goes home to heaven. I have tried to prepare ahead as much as possible, and have planned her funeral and burial with her help, which may seem odd to some people, but has actually been very special for us. A lot of people are asking how long I think my mom has and while I realize that everyones' journey through ALS is different, if anyone can tell me how long their loved one lasted after reaching a similar point, I would be very appreciative. I know that her desire is to die before she reaches the point of being totally unable to communicate or move at all, especially since she feels this would be so difficult for my younger brothers and sisters (who are middle school age). While I will be sad to see my mom die, for now, I am treasuring every moment that I have to care for her and storing up memories for when she is gone. Thank you! (Sorry for the extremely long post.)

Sorry to hear about your Mom, I am of no help to you as I am a victim of this unfortunate disease as well and I am also 56 with a 24 year old daughter I am not at the point your mom is. I just wanted to let you know what an awesome job it sounds like your doing taking care of your Mom and wish you the best.....the worst part for me is not knowing.....

you sound like a loving and caring daughter and your mom loves you I know. Please, if you have not contacted hospice do so immediately. What you are describing does not sound good. if she is getting ready to die, hospice can ease her way and your family's also.

All my best to you

My mom is signed up for hospice, and they have been very good at helping us get things like wheelchairs for before she was bed-ridden and a hospital bed and air flow mattress that she is in now. However, they don't seem to be willing to say anything about how long they think she has, even though both my mom and I have asked. I don't know if the nurses in charge of my mom's case just don't know enough about ALS (because sometimes I feel like I am educating them on it), or if they just feel that it is too unpredictable to try to give us an estimate. While we realize that everyone's situation varies, I would think they would be able to make a few generalizations or share some trends they have noticed.

I agree with some of the posts above, almonjoy. You sound like a great person and seem so considerate, loving and caring. For the last three or so days of Bob's life, he was put on a saline drip - just very small amounts. A litre bag would last the whole day. It wasn't so much to sustain his life than it was to provide some comfort or so we were told. It wasn't a sufficient amount to hydrate him or anything. Just a comfort measure. I wish you all strength. It's such a tough disease for all of you to endure but you seem to be doing everything right. Your mum must be so proud of you as I'm sure you are of her. Thinking of you...Yasmin

Every hospice I work with has had available a book describing the generalized progression of the last stages of life. Your hospice people should be able to at the very least provide you with that.

Check out the website at h o s p i c e n e t. o r g
There's a section on preparing for approaching death that will tell you about the physical signs.

Recently several members shared their experience of the last days with their loved ones.
The thread's title is:
My young spouse has ALS, whats next?

Thanks to everyone who posted! Momap53, the thread you suggested was so helpful! Thank you! If anyone else would be comfortable sharing their experiences with end-of-life care and how it progressed, I would appreciate it so much! God bless and comfort each of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back