Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
I have always been meticulous and thought I had every angle covered with this disease. But, it turns out, in the barrage of information about every little thing regarding ALS, I missed this about Survivor's Benefits from Social Security. I would like for all (spouses) cALS who have these "benefits" to be aware and take note of this for their future's sake!

I misunderstood the information provided on the Social Security website! Now I am in a slight bind, as the life insurance money has not arrived. SS has reversed the payment they sent last month, as my husband died the day before payment. They did increase my sons amount, but that still leaves a LOT lacking. They will not pay ME, until I APPLY for benefits. This was unclear to me on their website. You have to make an appointment to apply and it cannot be done online, although supposedly over the phone is fine. I thought benefits would automatically be recalculated accordingly. NOT!

Heads up: be sure you have plenty of credit cards IN YOUR NAME ONLY before you need them. I only have one and sure could have used some more at this time. I kept putting off applying and I have excellent credit. Stupid, really.

I hope you will make a note of this and keep it in a notebook for future reference, as you will not need the headache at a crucial time in your life!

My FIL died on Feb. 28 (20 yrs ago) and my MIL had to return his last check. Apparently the check you get is for the following month. Apparently SS Administration likes to make things difficult. I have battled with them for years (30+) and it never gets easier. Thanks for all the hard work you do, CJ. And my sympathies to you and your son. GOD bless.

CJ
I'm so sorry it just doesn't end.

We were already warned about the "last" disability check from the VA. It will be removed from the bank through direct deposit too. THEN a new check will be cut and mailed for the same amount.

nothing like sympathy from the devil in the time of need, huh?

Ridiculous...

Thanks for the info, CJ

I know this sound morbid, but in the book that I put together months before Terry died, I had the life insurance claim forms filled out and ready to go (except for the date). My funeral director handed me Terry's death certificates the day of his funeral. The person I designated to handle the book of information mailed the claim form with the death certificate the day after Terry's funeral. I had the life insurance checks in my hand the next week.
'

Thanks again CJ for the info. I was actually checking in today to find the thread about what you need to know and have ready. It may have been Missy or Katie or possibly someone else who posted it. Things are getting kind of scary with Eric's breathing and weakness this week, and he thinks things might be getting closer. Between rational moments and being a blubbering idiot, I'm trying to make sure I have it together. I'm not sure why I procrastinated... trying to keep the faith I guess that there would be a miracle drug soon.

Anyway, if anyone can tell me the name of the thread, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Pmben83,
Jason's Dream started the thread: Re: Things That Would Have Been Nice To Know
Miss was the one who compiled the book.

Okay, great. Thanks, Deb. I will print it out, so I have a guide to go by. I appreciate your help.

Take care.

Another note on survivor's benefits..... I do not receive benefits for myself as I continue to work full time. My children were receiving a small amount for my late husband's disability - he passed in Dec 2010. Their disability benefits converted directly to survivor's benefits for them immediately - SSA sent a note that pretty much said "...sorry for your loss, your kids' new amounts are X...". That was good.

Now the bad. Because those benefits account for more than half of what it takes to support my children, it is my understanding that I can no longer claim them as dependents since that money is, for all intents and purposes, supplied by the child for their own support. I spent last weekend reading IRS publications and they specifically stated the SS benefits are considered support supplied by the child -and not by me.

Because my late husband had a pretty good job, their benefits are good and good for the overall financial health of our family. Bad for my tax situation. It looks like I am back to filing "single". I'll know better for next year.

Mytwoboys, I'd urge you t o seek the advice of a good CPA and not cave in to fiiling single. Tax code is pretty complex and i'd hate to see you lose those deductions unnecessarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back