Diagnosis
12/2011
Country
US
State
MI
City
Gaylord
My best friend was just diagnosed with ALS..we are all grieving..She cries a lot and is so frustrated by all of this. Work as a PT is getting more difficult, filling out disabiltiy papers, going to Dr.s appts., just telling friends and family is taking it's toll. We are both in our early 60's and love to shop, go on girlfriend weekends with our friends and just gad about. Our husbands have tolerated our togetheness for over 30 yrs. What to do? Yes, I know "day by day" etc. Just need to vent..Thanks.

Oh, I'm so very sorry. You just keep being that best friend and keep finding ways to connect with her. Don't ever give up...you will most likely be her "rock."

All I can say is don't walk away when things start getting tough and you think you can't deal. Be her best friend always. I know you will. I wish y'all the best and wish I could hug you. She will need you more than you could ever imagine...

We will be here for you and answer any questions you may have.

The patient care coordinator for ALSA came into her job after caring for one of her best friends. All of the girlfriends' took shifts so that the husband and children weren't overwhelmed with the care. 7 friends took two 8 hour shifts each week for 18 months. It was a big, big task, but one none of the women ever forgot or regretted. Maybe you could gather your friends and do the same. There is a book, Sharing the Care, that helps with the organization. Good luck to you all.

I'm so sorry to hear that your friend has this terrible beast of a disease. No disease is a good one, but this one has been the worst I've ever been around. This has been the best website for knowledge of the disease, as everyone here is living it.

What seemed to help my husband the most was our constant mantra, "get busy living and not busy dying." It is very hard to do, but the more you say it the easier it is to live it.

I mentioned this on another thread for a young lady and her best friend. It might help you and your best friend too. After every loss of function, new piece of equipment delivery, change in daily life, there is a "mourning" period for these phases. Everyone needs to feel it and live it, so they can move on and get used to the new "normal" until the next phase. Be there through the good and the bad, and she and her family will be forever grateful. (You will never regret being there. I know I haven't regretted being here for my husband - my best friend.)

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back