Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
virginia
City
roanoke
Does anyone out there have experience with a loved one going into a coma? I am waiting on the hospice nurse now. We live in a very rural area so it might take an hour or so for her to get here. Mom is not responsive at all. Her eyes are barely open but not shut like she is asleep. Her breathing is shallow but consistent. I can see no apparent discoloration of the skin and her body temp and pulse seem fine. I am alone with her and have no idea what to do, if anything. Any insight or advice would be wonderful at this time.

Take a deep breath, hold her hand and tell her stories. She is not in pain right now. At this point, there is really nothing you can do but keep yourself relaxed and your mother's surroundings peaceful. My thoughts are with you.

Do you have someone you can call to come over to be with you?

AL

Not at the moment. I have called the immediate family but it will take them awhile to arrive. Just not sure what to do. Like miss stated I will just sit with her for now and talk.

So sorry you are going through this alone. It doesn't sound like there are any urgent issues that need to be addressed as far as her care. Miss is right. Just be there with her and talk to her or read to her. If there's any particular music she's fond of, put it on softly in the background. They always say "hearing is the last to go," even when our loved ones are no longer able to respond to us they may still hear us. Prayers will be with you.

Just talk to her.. you have a chance to say anything you haven't said yet. And understand that things could happen quickly or they could take a while. My mom was like that for almost a week before she passed. At that point, we had a hospice nurse with us 24/7

My mother-in-law died Thursday. She was in a coma for 3 days. Like Katie said, it could happen quickly or slowly. Thoughts are with you.

Yes, be with her, talk to her, hold her hand, let her know what's happening as far as family arriving, what you're doing, etc. Although she may not be responsive, she probably can still hear you. You'll probably notice things like her urine changing colour to a black tea-like shade and maybe some type of "fishy" odour breath - signs that her kidneys are shutting down. Like was said also, it could be hours or a few days. Bob was in his sleep state for 5 days, waking briefly twice. Thinking of you and sending you warm thoughts. Yasmin

Last edited:
Sending prayers your way.

May the hand of God touch you all in your time of need, and may you draw your strength from Heaven.

You've just been in my mind and heart all day. I hope all is well with you. Thinking about you as you pass through this night.

Thinking and praying for you! HUGS

Jessie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back