Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
One of the local hospice agencies will be coming out tomorrow to consult with us about using their service.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should ask? How will they determine level of care?

My husband is not happy about this at all! Sigh...:sad: I hate that it has come to this point, but I am hopeful that having the help will take some stress off of us. It seems I'm either caring for him in some capacity, while trying to catch up with housekeeping, maintaining the household and raising a son. No down time, unless I stay up all hours! :shock:

Now, does anyone know how to fix a broken recliner? This is his third one in a year that he has busted! LOL I don't think hospice can help with that!

Oh CJ, Honey I hope this will give you guys some relief.
Check to see if they offer an inpatient facility for respite care. We used ours several times for my Mom and it was truly a blessing.

I'm sorry you're at this point CJ but I hope this will provide you with some much needed help and relief. Thinking of you. Yasmin.

I am on hospice and they are a big help.

I spoke to representatives from three agencies before choosing one.

CJ... don't let it stress you. By the time our hospice rep finished going over what they covered and how things worked, I realized there wasn't a single question on my list they hadn't covered. I would ask about what meds are covered, who do you contact in an emergency, who do you contact if something just doesn't seem right or you need a nurse or doc to come out, what equipment is covered, are there any copays, etc. For us, I had to make sure they knew home health aides had to be male (behavioral issues on Glen's part), who will handle primary medical care. You might ask if they've had any ALS experience. I found I had to do a lot ALS/FTD education, but they were very open to that.

Hard as it is, try to dissociate yourself from hubby's anger. You are doing what you know has to be done. Period, end of story. Hang in there.

Oh and about that chair... our hospice had a group of volunteers that were former caregivers of hospice patients.... they volunteered with hospice as a way to "give back" and did respite visits and any number of things... who knows... maybe someone's a recliner expert!

Hey CJ-

My stress level has dropped since we started Hospice 2 months ago. I have found that they really try to meet your needs, not make you fit theirs.

I wasn't convinced it was time--but they have been great. You don't have to wait until your hubby is at death's door to take advantage of their help. we have a CNA that comes and gives my hubby a bath 3 times a week. the nurse stops by for vitals and to chat once every week or two. It is a relief to know she is there if he gets sicker. it took about3 weeks to teach the CNA how to operate the chair and make sure that my husband was comfortable with her operating it for transfers. Just these little service is so HUGE for me. I think you will really get alot of help from them!

OK (thanks, Katie for jump starting my brain) Here are my questions. Please add any that you may think I've left out!

Will you cover all of the meds he currently takes?

Who do I contact in an emergency?

What if a doc/nurse needs to come out?

What equipment might you cover?

Are there copays?

How soon can you start?

Who will be the acting doctor? (ha ha ha! laughing at self! Dr. House? Get it? Acting doc!)

How many times per week will you come out?

How will you manage his pain?

What about volunteers so I can go shopping, run errands and pick my son up from school or take him somewhere?

What about a chaplain? How often will he come?

What kind of home help will I be able to get?

Will you cover the formula for the tube and PEG supplies?

Will you provide counseling for my son? When and how, if so?

How will we schedule?

Can you accommodate that he doesn't want any males helping him?

What if BiPap needs to be adjusted?

Will you help with cough assist?

What about bathing? How often?

Will you do feedings with the PEG?

Are your people trained to deal with slight cognitive issues?

My big ol' long post went to moderation ghost-land! AAARRRGGGHHH! Maybe it will show up tomorrow!

12:29 is technically tomorrow but an hour isn't bad CJ.

AL.

Hope your meeting goes well today. About the recliner......Mom had one of those recliners that elevated up, so the person would end up in a standing position. I called Dad yesterday to ask him where it came from and he could not remember. It was loaned to us while she was sick. Ask around and find out who can loan it to ya'll, so you won't have to buy another one!

CJ,

Is respite care available? How many days and nights? Where? How often is it available? How do I schedule it?

they will answer all those questions and some you didn't even think of CJ...

Hope all is going well with the Hospice interviews.

Thinking about you and hoping you had a good meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back