Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Westland
It is very curious.... Our 8yr old mixed breed dog - Zoe - went blind in August... just a few weeks before Karl's diagnosis.

She has adapted as dogs seem to do... and now she is found more often than not in Karl's room lying near his chair or his bed. Sometimes it is very hard to get her to leave.

She is also Karl's "backup alarm". He has a remote doorbell ringer, but when he can't get to it he calls Zoe and says "your buddy is home!" ( a signal my daughter is coming in - zoe's master) and she starts barking up a storm. We all laugh but when he needs me or someone to get something or help him - Zoe's bark signal is a great alarm!

She is also a great comfort to Karl. Often I hear him talking to her. When I look in there she is sitting looking up at his bed listening to him talk to her!

Blessings from small things....

Your post gives me goose bumps! Very heart warming. :)

Amazing the therapy a dog can give to an entire family. I got my pup at the shelter almost one yr ago and it has done WONDERS for our family. Everyone is generally nicer and seems to be able to 'unload' their frustrations from the day on petting the dog rather than taking it out on the other members of the family. She has been a God-send.

Some people say they saved their dog from the shelter...I say...she saved me :)

I would go nuts if it wasn't for my 3 dogs. What a sweet story!

I am not a dog person normally. But that is so sweet she loves him. My husband had two small dogs when we got married. Since I have gotten sick they follow me every where.

Dogs can sense weakness or illness in people. They usually know there is a problem before we do. When I moved I. With my then boyfriend, now husband, my dog became VERY protective of him and soon his protector. Six months later the symptoms and then dreaded diagnosis came. My dog still gets upset everyday when I go to work(separation anxiety), but lays 99% of the time at my husband's feet. If my husband yells or rings the bell for me to come, my dog will come running to make sure I am coming. Truly a person's best friend AND protector!

This is such a sweet story. Our 8 year old westie called Dizzy knows exactly when Mark is under the weather and wont leave his side. Bless them.

We have two cats and Twyla has taken to my PALS and lays on his legs (which are weak) constantly, sleeps with him, and generally takes care of him. The other, Simon, has comforted my like no other, stays with me, sleeps with me, and makes this awful mess tolerable. I think they understand and try to be there for us!

No kidding on that part! Our Jake was 15 when we finally let him go. He was a beagle and their average life span is about 9 years. Jake and Tom went everywhere together except to work and I believe he hung on through a really tough ending just to say 'Hey, I am not leaving you'.

Jake's last year was full of arthritic pain and stiffness, then some jerk ran over him on a back country dead end road -- like he had no choice or something -- and Jake lost functions in his back end. The kids and I loved him back out of shock (Tom was too torn up) and I spent the next year carrying him out of doors for constitutionals etc. Eventually he started walking a bit again, but oh, he was crippled up.

As last winter started its onset I announced that Jake was taking his last car ride because I couldn't commit to carrying him in and out through the winter and that trip was the hardest thing I ever did. The family made me do it alone.

I love that dog! He put up with so much agony just to be with us.

Great stories thanks for sharing! Dogs are the best and most faithful companions! They provide unconditional love and support. I love my 3 dogs and I know regardless of what kind of mood I am in, how my day has gone, they love me too!

We've always been a multi dog family, but right now we have just one 13 yr old beagle mix. He's very fat and sleeps most of the time, unless he's raiding the garbage, but he's always in the room with me, and I do admit I talk to him quite a bit.

I love my dogs more than most people. They are always loving and never disappoint with there friendship. We have this posted in our kitchen.

Notice to people who visit my home..........

1. The dogs live here....you don't.

2. If you don't want dog hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture.

3. Yes, she has some disgusting habits. So do I and so you do you. What's your point?

4. OF COURSE they smell like dogs!

5. It's their nature to try to sniff your crotch. Please feel free to sniff theirs.

6. I like them better than most people.

7. To you they are dogs. To me they are adopted kids, who are short, hairy, walk on all fours, doesn't speak clearly, and tolerates the cats. I have no problem with any of these things.

8. Dogs are better than kids: they eat less, don't ask for money all the time, are easier to train, come when called, never drive your car or talk back, don't hang out with drug using friends, don't smoke or drink, don't worry about whether they have the latest fashions, don't wear your clothes, don't need gazillion dollars for college, and if they accidentally get pregnant.....you can sell the pups.

I have a door hanger that say's " the cook is not responsible for fur in the food"

After Mom passed away from ALS, I asked Dad what his thoughts and comments were that he would like to tell others. He said, "I wish she would have had a dog. I think it would have been very comforting to her to have a dog.” He commented that he thought people with a terminal illness should have a dog because they would be comforted by it.

Dogs have a special place in my heart, especially Boo my Yorkie! Can't imagine life without them:) Have a blessed day!

Sadiemae is 4 and half yrs old, and truly my husbands best friend. She knows what Les says and needs better than me! I am so glad she is a young dog, as Les could not deal with losing her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back