04/2010
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Princess Anne
Hello wonderful forum!

Sometime ago, a Vet posted on the forum that he had received his bathroom grant finally and was beginning the construction process. I really need to talk to him and to all of you. We completed paperwork with the VA on June 10, 2011 for the bathroom grant and as of this writing, December 8, 2011 WE ARE STILL AWAITING APPROVAL FOR THE GRANT MONIES. In 2 days it will be 6 MONTHS for crying out loud. If I had the funds, I could have constructed an ENTIRE HOME BY NOW. ALL I want is a bathroom, for my husband to take a shower using a roll in shower chair( which we have had for 3 months now)in preparation for the renovation. JEESH

I call weekly, but everyone knows this is the government. We have had someone from the VA come down and assess our home. Last week, when I called they told me the paperwork was in Virginia. Whatever, that means. Meanwhile, husband gets weaker and weaker...... Could anyone out there assist me? 1. How much longer do we have to wait?2. Am I a special case or is this length of wait typical? I searched the forum but only located old posts from several years back.
HELP HELP HELP,
Ginger

Send Miss a PM.

If you don't have PVA rep., get one. Sent PM if you want. We got ours in no time and contractor got paid in 45 days. They will do it, but you must keep reminding them. We were told to always put ALS at top of any contact with VA. They have been great to me, but not without being a little bit of a sqeaky whee. Good luck.

Thank you. Will do a PM later tonight.
G.

Something is not right. Your paperwork must be lost. Have your VSO call them. Have Peggy--the 800 number--send an internal message to the VARO. Send a letter to the VA OIG. Go see the VAMC Director by appointment.

Within a couple weeks after the VA measured your house, 3 contractors should have visited and submitted detailed cost estimates.

Me, I just took a sledgehammer to the bathroom and apologized to the landlady.

Also, once my PALS couldn't transfer, we preferred to do weekly showers at the YMCA.

You need an Advocate! We have one through the Paralyzed Vets. He gets things moving when we call him. We also have waited, and waited after filling out the grants and just like your situation, my husband gets weaker and weaker and needs the equipment...a stair glide for example, to the point where it is a safety issue!
There have been people here recently measuring and evaluating for the glide. Although we don't have it or the bathroom remodling I think it is moving along better.
It is frightening! I try to stay a step ahead of this disease, but how do you stay a step ahead of the paper shuffle at the VA? Pray!
Get an advocate! Paralyzed Vets Assocation

Try Congressman van hollin' S office. Constituent services.

We do have an advocate. She was able to assist us with negotiating the van which we received in November after only 2 months of paperwork.

Keep me posted on how it goes with the SAH grant!

Thanks Miss; will do. Planning on making a phone call to the advocate Monday
am and to the specially adapted housing agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back