Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
AL
City
Fairhope
I'm still rather new, just been on a week. I'm wondering how many vets there are on here or vet caregivers. My husband is a 30 year vet but saw no combat duty. We have applied to the VA and of course still waiting to hear back. I would like to hear your stories about dealing with the VA if you care to share. Thanks.

DeansWife,
I know I am only one of many. Retired 3 years ago after 23 years (with a short break in the middle!). So these are the Golden Years?!?! :)

I hope you have a VSO (Veteran's Service Organization) advocate handling all of your paperwork for you. I gave a power of attorney to a great one at the PVA and he is doing virtually everything. I haven't waited more than a couple hours anyone in the office to return a call or an email. Takes all the stress out of the waiting time for me to know my paperwork isn't stalled on someone's desk.

My bride was at the local ALSA support group meeting last night (highly recommended!) and it breaks my heart to hear the stories of those PALS and CALS who have to go through this without the support of the VA. Financially devastating on top of everything else...sad for sure.

I'd be a slug if I didn't say that I am sorry you have to go through this. I think we need an snappy acronym (how military!) to use as a tag line for that...
Jeff

Jeff,

We went through our local DAV to file with the VA. I get lost with all the acronyms! I'm not sure just how much they are tracking - they didn't keep any copies but I have them all! I did stop at our Regional VA Center in Montgomery, AL a few weeks ago. Checked with the DAV office there and found out that our paperwork had been "sent upstairs" which means the VA has it. I received a mail comfirmation a few days later from the VA. I'm just not a patient person, I hate waiting for someone to do their job. Having been around the military/civil service community most all my life (my Dad was a WWII vet) I know how slow the process can be. I've been told to use my congressman and on the other hand I've been told not to! I'll sit tight till after the holidays and see what happens. As we all know, this disease does not wait for anyone or any thing! I hear that the VA is supposed to be expediting ALS claims. I wonder..... I need to find a ALS support group near me. I think our hospital has one.

Thanks for your response.

Be polite with them, but Do Not accept no for an answer. Call every few days if needed. I have a great PVA rep. and he has done wonders for me. Keep copies of every thing.

Steve,
Are you working with Bill from W-S? I started with him about a month ago; so far so good but it's all new so it's not so far!

I'm a 20 year navy vet but no one can figure out what it is I have at this stage. I've come to the conclusion that this is probably a good thing because it's only chronic and very stable.

I'm a 20 year navy vet but no one can figure out what it is I have at this stage. I've come to the conclusion that this is probably a good thing because it's only chronic and very stable.

So... can I trade the neuro some of what I have for some of what you have?!? :idea:

Jeff,

I really wish you could trade the neuro for some of what I have because all it does is annoy and there's really not much harm in that.

Wine and cheese seem to deter the annoyance a bit (and dark chocolate...)

Deanswife, My pal was very advanced when I applied. He had a peg, trach and so on. One trip to
the VA to get service connected in a EMS. After that, they were very helpful. 100% disabled. Applied 1/27
got first check 3/1, that included Feb. Very blessed.

Don't forget to apply for the life insurance. Depends on your % disability, however you can apply
for up to 40K. I did, and his son received it. Eddie died 8/24/11 I used the PVA, but remember, they
are only as good as the info you are able to give them. But, they are helpful.
I am sure you will have further questions.

My pal went through this stage of denial. Don't let that happen, tell it like it is. The VA is a wonderful
resource. Benefits are on the chopping block, don't delay.

Jim

My husband was a vet. We applied on 4/26/2010 and received the first check in mid June 2010. We used the PVA, but I had to really stay close to the process to keep it from bogging down. If you aren't getting the help you need from the DAV, you can switch to the PVA. They seem to be the SO that has been handling more of the cases, so you can usually get good information as you move up their food chain.

Miss, have you applied for the life insurance yet? The PVA didn't help with that. However, it
is very easily done online.

Jim

My husband is a vet. He has a PVA rep who is outstanding. My husband gave him power of attorney regarding his condition and the VA. The best advice he gave us was to anticipate my husband's needs before they became an emergency; to stay ahead of the curve. Any request to increase benefits has not taken longer than 6 weeks as the PVA rep stays on top of his casework.

My husband is still at 30% after filing in February but they did call this week and tell him that our 21 year old college student was now listed as a dependent. I filed that paperwork in May.

My husband is still at 30% after filing in February but they did call this week and tell him that our 21 year old college student was now listed as a dependent. I filed that paperwork in May.

Hmm, that's interesting. It was my understanding that ALS is a presumtive disease and because of the quick progression it was give a automatic 100%. Maybe that bill hasn't been signed yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back