Diagnosis
27/2011
Country
US
State
SD
City
huron
I have taken an interest in helping people who have ALS and their caregivers. I friend of mine has a husband who was diagnosed 5 years ago and has stressed that there is not a lot of caregiver support in the area we live in. I was hoping to create a support group for caregivers and their families of people who have ALS. If I can do a good job I will give the protocol to the society or try to implement it myself (when I graduate). I was hoping that some of you guys could give me some insight as to what topics you feel should be addressed in such a group. Anything you feel is important is great feedback.

--------------------------------------------------------------
01_deckname_KND_baumhaus_500_375_Cartoon_Network.jpg

Start with tricks of the trade (so to speak). Everyone always wants to know how everybody else handles things. i.e.: how do you use the bathroom , what kind foods taste best pureed, how do get in a handicap van without running off the side of the ramp, what improvisations have you made with everyday items to fill a need?

How and what.

There are dozens of different questions for each ALS family.

I think these are good ice breaker questions. Once the group becomes comfortable you can begin to explore questions regarding coping emotionally.

Before I did anything, I'd contact the MDA to find out if they can help coordinate or if they already have something in place that you are unaware of.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back